Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

I own pcie2 and Pcie3.0 but without pcie atomic operations,
    In older releases of AMDGPU-PRO, RX580 were supported, without pcie atomics.., maybe around 2016, but now MADGPU-PRO don't work, even on Ubuntu, without pcie atomics..

I still haven't tested this last release, but the previous ones, don't work.
    I'm in the same boat as you with a PCE-E-2.0 Gigabyte 990FX based motherboard.

That seems like a regression or change in course by AMD as they very recently dropped requirements for pcie atomics. If that's the case until I build a new system I have no reason to invest in AMD other than stock investing.

Comment

pcie atomics are only a requirement for ROCm. If you use OCL from the pro packages, it does not use ROCm and does not require pcie atomics.

Comment

Its sad to see products like Rx580, not been supported for openCL workloads, on proprietary driver..
        In the past they were supported...witouth the need of pcie atomics..
        Can you give more specifics ? OpenCL on the -PRO driver** does not use the ROCm stack and so does not require PCIE atomics.

**that's what I assume you mean by "proprietary" since everything else is open source

I own pcie2 and Pcie3.0 but without pcie atomic operations,
        In older releases of AMDGPU-PRO, RX580 were supported, without pcie atomics.., maybe around 2016, but now MADGPU-PRO don't work, even on Ubuntu, without pcie atomics.. I still haven't tested this last release, but the previous ones, don't work.
        Earlier versions of AMDGPU-PRO used ROCm stack for OpenCL on Vega (recently moved to PAL) but I don't think we ever used the ROCm stack in -PRO for earlier parts.

As far as I know OpenCL should be fully supported on 580 without requiring atomics.
        Last edited by bridgman; 26 November 2018, 02:53 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          As far as I know OpenCL should be fully supported on 580 without requiring atomics.
          It worried me a bit to read comments before this one as I recently bought an RX 580 specifically for the purposes of a workload (DaVinci Resolve) which relies on OpenCL.

I know nothing about what "PCI-E atomics" are, but for what it's worth I have the card working just fine on Ubuntu 18.04 with the AMDGPU-PRO 18.40 drivers. Resolve works fine, and "clinfo" reports that OpenCL is functional on the card.

@bridgman: I've struggled to find any information on this anywhere, but are there plans to eventually upstream the OpenCL bits from AMDGPU-PRO into the fully open driver? In the future can I expect to just be able to use the card (or future models) out of the box without needing to install any proprietary bits?

Comment

Originally posted by alexhaydock View Post
            It worried me a bit to read comments before this one as I recently bought an RX 580 specifically for the purposes of a workload (DaVinci Resolve) which relies on OpenCL.

I know nothing about what "PCI-E atomics" are, but for what it's worth I have the card working just fine on Ubuntu 18.04 with the AMDGPU-PRO 18.40 drivers. Resolve works fine, and "clinfo" reports that OpenCL is functional on the card.
            Eh, it's primarily an issue for those of us who want to use the open source components without having to go out of our way to install the legacy opencl driver from the -pro stack (with --compute-only). It works, but it's not as hassle-free as it has the potential to be.

Comment

Originally posted by alexhaydock View Post

@bridgman: I've struggled to find any information on this anywhere, but are there plans to eventually upstream the OpenCL bits from AMDGPU-PRO into the fully open driver? In the future can I expect to just be able to use the card (or future models) out of the box without needing to install any proprietary bits?
              Hi,
              can you please tell me what CPU/Motherboard you have?

Thanks in Advance.

Comment

Hi,
                can you please tell me what CPU/Motherboard you have?

Thanks in Advance.
                It's quite an old board and CPU combo now as I've been planning a Ryzen upgrade.

Intel i5-2500K
                EVGA E685

I couldn't recommend it as it would make no sense to buy now, but it seems like everything works as I'd expect with the RX 580 on Cougar Point hardware.

Comment

On Kavery machines, with pcie3.0 and the previous version of AMDGPU-PRO,
                  I couldn't get OpenCL working on RX580, using Ubuntu.

I will try with this version, to check if it works

Comment

Working...
                  X