AMDGPU+RADV Linux Gaming On GCN 1.0/1.1, 25-Way Warhammer II GPU Benchmarks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU+RADV Linux Gaming On GCN 1.0/1.1, 25-Way Warhammer II GPU Benchmarks

Phoronix: AMDGPU+RADV Linux Gaming On GCN 1.0/1.1, 25-Way Warhammer II GPU Benchmarks

With Feral Interactive's modern Linux game ports that rely upon the Vulkan graphics API for rendering, the company usually lists the Radeon R9 285 as the minimum requirement. That's generally because the R9 285 "Tonga" is the first graphics card officially supported by the AMDGPU kernel driver, which is necessary for RADV Vulkan driver support, but with non-default options it's possible to get AMDGPU+RADV working on GCN 1.0 Southern Islands and GCN 1.1 Sea Islands graphics cards. Here are some benchmarks of that experimental GCN 1.0/1.1 Vulkan support using Feral's newest Linux game port, Total War: Warhammer II, in a 25-way AMD/NVIDIA graphics card comparison for Linux gaming.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=27150

• clouddrop
    replied
    Got 4.19.4 to boot with my 290x by explicitely adding amdgpu.dpm=0 to my kernel parameters. Appearantly it defaults to enabled if not declared and I ran into the issue linked above.

Leave a comment:

• clouddrop
    replied
    Michael Is there anything else you did to get the 290 to work on kernel 4.19 besides those kernel parameters you mentioned? I can't get my 290x to work with 4.19. See these issues here:
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=108608
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=108781

Did you apply the patch mentioned there or did it work out of the box for you?

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Herem View Post
    Michael Any chance we can get a RADV vs. AMDGPU-PRO vs. AMDVLK Vulkan Linux Driver Performance comparison for this game?
    Yes, later today.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
    Michael, why don't you scale the graphs according to the highest score but leave much free space?
    It is, but some of the outliers on the time graphs is why it scales so high.

Leave a comment:

• varikonniemi
    replied
    Michael, why don't you scale the graphs according to the highest score but leave much free space?

Leave a comment:

• Herem
    replied
    Michael Any chance we can get a RADV vs. AMDGPU-PRO vs. AMDVLK Vulkan Linux Driver Performance comparison for this game?

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Just for grins, I fired up Mad Max at 640x480 and it plays! I'm not sure why they bother offering that menu option, as the text becomes unreadable. Frame rate was approximately a bajillion fps tho.
    Because of vintages, iGPUs and real low spec gamers Average gaming Joe should buy card and look at Recommended only or more, but in practice that does not happen so often nor i afraid does not represent majority at any given point

We often forget about these, but in the same time we are surprised how steam survey numbers does not increase No we shouldn't be surprised, as even our DEs hate changing resolutions, but scale instead to go real low is known to bite some perf, also composition eat some perf potentional too... no, i am not surprised when i see 60% alcohol in Linux gaming
    Last edited by dungeon; 11-25-2018, 02:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Playable and now do APUs at 960x540 for low spec gamers
    Just for grins, I fired up Mad Max at 640x480 and it plays! I'm not sure why they bother offering that menu option, as the text becomes unreadable. Frame rate was approximately a bajillion fps tho.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by suberimakuri View Post
    Despite all the card swapping, orders of magnitude more than any regular user,
    It keeps the connector pins shiny

Leave a comment:

Working...
X