Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marek Takes To Possible AMDGPU Winsys Memory Optimizations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Marek Takes To Possible AMDGPU Winsys Memory Optimizations

    Phoronix: Marek Takes To Possible AMDGPU Winsys Memory Optimizations

    AMD's Marek Olšák known for his many additions and performance optimizations to RadeonSI and who is leading Mesa development this year with the most commits has been working on some AMDGPU winsys optimizations...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...insys-Mem-Opts

  • #2
    One day Marek will take his hands on GNOME. Fixing all the memory and performance issues...

    ... rm -rf gnome*

    Comment


    • #3
      I'll bite,

      A massive amount of work has gone in to gnome over the past 6 months to improve memory and performance issues.

      Or even longer if you take into account the time taken to update the gjs stack to latest spidermonkey.

      Even more work is happening over the next cycle. While more eyes are always better, the work done and being done shouldn't be knocked.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Candy View Post
        One day Marek will take his hands on GNOME. Fixing all the memory and performance issues...

        ... rm -rf gnome*
        you can do it yourself, don't wait for marek

        Comment


        • #5
          Why is it called "Winsys"?

          Comment


          • #6
            It's the part that varies depending on the windowing system. Also ends up being a bit HW dependent, so probably best to think about it as the projection of the kernel driver up into userspace.

            Comment


            • #7
              I will go a step further and thank you and anybody else responsible for GNOME improvements that frankly are obvious. At least obvious going from Fedora 28 to 29. I’m not sure I will ever understand the madness behind JavaScript in GNOME but any fixes that can be Had are welcomed.

              Originally posted by You- View Post
              I'll bite,

              A massive amount of work has gone in to gnome over the past 6 months to improve memory and performance issues.

              Or even longer if you take into account the time taken to update the gjs stack to latest spidermonkey.

              Even more work is happening over the next cycle. While more eyes are always better, the work done and being done shouldn't be knocked.

              Comment


              • #8
                This 1% would have been beneficial a few months ago, would have allowed me to continue ethereum mining for one epoch longer.

                ps. gnome cannot be useful under wayland before the main loop is gutted and some of the functionality outsourced to other threads so the input handling stops lagging.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  I will go a step further and thank you and anybody else responsible for GNOME improvements that frankly are obvious. At least obvious going from Fedora 28 to 29. I’m not sure I will ever understand the madness behind JavaScript in GNOME but any fixes that can be Had are welcomed.


                  JavaScript improvements is like putting lipstick on a pig.

                  I also really don't understand reasoning behind selecting JavaScript. It is just bad. Not sure how this idea was looking good when they decided it...

                  Just wondering... Did the same person who proposed JavaScript in gnome also proposed a movie with tornado with sharks?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by misp View Post

                    JavaScript improvements is like putting lipstick on a pig.

                    I also really don't understand reasoning behind selecting JavaScript. It is just bad. Not sure how this idea was looking good when they decided it...

                    Just wondering... Did the same person who proposed JavaScript in gnome also proposed a movie with tornado with sharks?
                    I am no GNOME developer but i suppose the idea was that using Javascript would enable more contributors to contribute since a throng of script kiddies know the language, and it is relatively easy to work with. The world is not exactly full with skilled C developers willing to do Desktop Environment work for free...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X