RADV Lands Another Fast Clear Optimization, Helping An Operation 18x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Lands Another Fast Clear Optimization, Helping An Operation 18x

Phoronix: RADV Lands Another Fast Clear Optimization, Helping An Operation 18x

Samuel Pitoiset of Valve's open-source Linux graphics driver team has landed a patch providing another optimization around fast clears for the Radeon "RADV" Vulkan driver within Mesa 19.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do any games get a noticeable performance boost from this? I'll test with The Witcher 3 later today.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Do any games get a noticeable performance boost from this? I'll test with The Witcher 3 later today.
      Please share your results here.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Do not expect huge impact on that. Clearing buffer is one of the least expensive commands

Comment

Yep, no noticeable change in The Witcher 3 performance.

Comment

Good job, every micro optimization counts.

I guess it's the shader compiler performance mostly holding back RadV compared to the proprietary vulkan drivers on Both windows and linux as well as compared to Nvidia. The way things were going in the early days people expected RadV to catch up. Sadly it didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post

I guess it's the shader compiler performance mostly holding back RadV compared to the proprietary vulkan drivers on Both windows and linux as well as compared to Nvidia. The way things were going in the early days people expected RadV to catch up. Sadly it didn't happen.
              Must have not even looked at the state of the 480 vs 1060/1070 in Vulkan titles. It's exactly slotted where its performance should be, between them. The only one lacking back-end code optimizations is Vega. Regurgitating BS, yet again.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post

Must have not even looked at the state of the 480 vs 1060/1070 in Vulkan titles. It's exactly slotted where its performance should be, between them. The only one lacking back-end code optimizations is Vega. Regurgitating BS, yet again.
                yeah, my R9-280(TAHITI) play Wolfenstein II at 1080p Ultra(sadly 3GB vram is not enough for Mein Leiben) and never dip below 30 fps, on my Windows 10 disk the Average is a bit higher (36fps vs 41fps) but for some reason dips very low on certain scenes(like 4fps), in the same sense Doom2016/Crysis 3 and FIFA 2018 also play like a freaking boss with a max difference of 10% fps compared to Windows 10, i would call that a freaking damn good fucking driver already.(games i'm playing at moment, doesn't mean is the only games that work)

Also Worth notice AMDVLK hangs the GPU on Wolfenstein(same settings as RADV), FIFA18(and many other DXVK titles) present heavy artifacts and MPV with super resolution shaders hangs the GPU as well whereas RADV work everytime perfectly which again i would call that a freaking damn good fucking driver.

This dude humbug either have a very unique GPU that only barely works with RADV and for some weird reason works decently on AMDVLK or is a troll because his RADV trashing doesn't fit reality(or he is using some very old mesa on Centos/debian/etc.)

Update:
                Also SKyrim SE + 120 mods(you need an external script to load mods, see guide on lutris) including nla, elfx, high poly, 4k optimized textures at ultra at 1080p play just fine as well on RADV whereas is a no go on AMDVLK(black screen with sound last time i tested) again within 10% of windows 10 performance(still no luck with either for ENBs but that seems more a dxvk issue for now)
                Last edited by jrch2k8; 20 November 2018, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                  Sadly it's only the kernel/driver devs who care about this kind of thing. Fucked up world.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post

The open source Vulkan drivers for AMD have a way to go still, both RadV and AMDVLK.

You can see here that even on linux there are many scenerios where the amdgpu pro vulkan driver with it's proprietary shader compiler can be a lot quicker than the open driver.
                    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...dv-okt18&num=3
                    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On windows where the drivers have had more investment and are closer to their performance potential it is generally accepted that AMD trumps Nvidia in modern API applications. i.e. in DX12 / Vulkan the RX 580 almost always beats the GTX 1060, and the Vega 64 beats the GTX 1080, the R9 290 beats the GTX 970 etc.

Don't get upset, AMD is doing a great job. And the open vulkan drivers will keep improving, even if it is amdvlk over radv.
                    Last edited by humbug; 21 November 2018, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X