Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raonlinux
    replied
    Thanks for the help guys, so far try to run unigine heaven without a crash I set the maximum state as the lvl 6 without problem. I should try more games for know if this work with others games.
    At the end I set that the set allow are from 0 ~ 6.
    Code:
    echo "0 1 2 3 4 5 6" > pp_dpm_sclk

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Man, I just have to say, it's sooo nice to be able to game again worry-free of hangs. I played for hours today and zero hangs. Passed all the previous checkpoints in BioShock Infinite, Metro 2033 Redux, etc that I couldn't get to before... perpetually high is back, baby!

1191MHz on the core clock is only a compromise of a 112 MHz from the default 1303, I can live with that. I'm going to revisit upping the voltage on the 1303 MHz setting at a later time. Will update my post with results as well when I do.

I check my device/pp_od_clk_voltage so is set like that, how I must set the state 6 to test out. Do I need to install rocm for state the gpu clock, or can I do it with commands? Let me know if you don' t have problem with level 6.
    Originally posted by clapbr View Post
    You don't need rocm, follow this guide (its arch wiki but valid for other distros) https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU

Don't forget to enable amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff on kernel parameters.
    Yeah, you could go that route also. As a warning though- I had issues with setting the amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff flag. Others have also from what I've seen online. You might not, but then again we have the same exact card so you likely will.

rocm-smi is really nice, and doesn't require that flag to be set. I highly recommend it in general.

Leave a comment:

• clapbr
    replied
    Originally posted by raonlinux View Post

Code:
    OD_SCLK:
    0: 300MHz 800mV
    1: 608MHz 818mV
    2: 910MHz 824mV
    3: 1077MHz 906mV
    4: 1145MHz 968mV
    5: 1191MHz 1012mV
    6: 1236MHz 1062mV
    7: 1303MHz 1143mV
    OD_MCLK:
    0: 300MHz 800mV
    1: 2000MHz 975mV
    OD_RANGE:
    SCLK: 300MHz 2000MHz
    MCLK: 300MHz 2250MHz
    VDDC: 800mV 1175mV
    I check my device/pp_od_clk_voltage so is set like that, how I must set the state 6 to test out. Do I need to install rocm for state the gpu clock, or can I do it with commands? Let me know if you don' t have problem with level 6.
    You don't need rocm, follow this guide (its arch wiki but valid for other distros) https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU

Don't forget to enable amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff on kernel parameters.

Leave a comment:

• raonlinux
    replied
    Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
    Ahh, it was the clocks!

Etherman and aufkrawall, you guys called it. Thank you for the suggestion to lower the clocks.

I ended up using rocm-smi to manually set sclk to level 5: $ rocm-smi --setsclk 5

For reference on my card:
    Code:
    GPU[0] : Supported GPU clock frequencies on GPU0
    GPU[0] : 0: 300Mhz
    GPU[0] : 1: 608Mhz
    GPU[0] : 2: 910Mhz
    GPU[0] : 3: 1077Mhz
    GPU[0] : 4: 1145Mhz
    GPU[0] : 5: 1191Mhz *
    GPU[0] : 6: 1236Mhz
    GPU[0] : 7: 1303Mhz
    I've yet to try level 6 (as I wanted to give it a decent downclock to test the theory out) or level 7 with higher voltage than it was being given.

raonlinux, would be great if you could test out this theory, too. Let me know if you need any help with rocm-smi or getting the card to downclock.
    Code:
    OD_SCLK:
    0:        300MHz        800mV
    1:        608MHz        818mV
    2:        910MHz        824mV
    3:       1077MHz        906mV
    4:       1145MHz        968mV
    5:       1191MHz       1012mV
    6:       1236MHz       1062mV
    7:       1303MHz       1143mV
    OD_MCLK:
    0:        300MHz        800mV
    1:       2000MHz        975mV
    OD_RANGE:
    SCLK:     300MHz       2000MHz
    MCLK:     300MHz       2250MHz
    VDDC:     800mV        1175mV

Leave a comment:

• clapbr
    replied
    Ahh, it was the clocks!

Etherman and aufkrawall, you guys called it. Thank you for the suggestion to lower the clocks.

I ended up using rocm-smi to manually set sclk to level 5: $ rocm-smi --setsclk 5

Code:
    GPU[0] : Supported GPU clock frequencies on GPU0
    GPU[0] : 0: 300Mhz
    GPU[0] : 1: 608Mhz
    GPU[0] : 2: 910Mhz
    GPU[0] : 3: 1077Mhz
    GPU[0] : 4: 1145Mhz
    GPU[0] : 5: 1191Mhz *
    GPU[0] : 6: 1236Mhz
    GPU[0] : 7: 1303Mhz
    I've yet to try level 6 (as I wanted to give it a decent downclock to test the theory out) or level 7 with higher voltage than it was being given.

Annoyed I didn't think to try this sooner. Thank you guys again. This makes sense why it's affecting certain cards and not others. For the record, I have very good system cooling and air flow, and a 700W PSU. I know my system can handle the RX 480 at full load.

raonlinux, would be great if you could test out this theory, too. Let me know if you need any help with rocm-smi or getting the card to downclock.
    If temperatures are fine I'd try checking if you can feed it a bit more power. When I was messing with overclocks I had crashes after stressing the card that were gone after a very little increase in Watts. My specific gpu model has an optional power plug on it meant for overclocks though, but if I am not wrong, you can't go above the maximum so it should be safe.

btw, if you have dual-bios with different clocks it might be also a possible solution if you don't want to be changing clocks with scripts or manually.

Leave a comment:

• xiando
    replied
    this is fixed in 4.20 if you want to try it out
    Just don't try to copy any big files from a xfs filesystem to a nfs filesystem while you try it out. 4.20rc2 has.. other problems.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Ahh, it was the clocks!

Code:
    GPU[0]         : Supported GPU clock frequencies on GPU0
    GPU[0]         : 0: 300Mhz
    GPU[0]         : 1: 608Mhz
    GPU[0]         : 2: 910Mhz
    GPU[0]         : 3: 1077Mhz
    GPU[0]         : 4: 1145Mhz
    GPU[0]         : 5: 1191Mhz *
    GPU[0]         : 6: 1236Mhz
    GPU[0]         : 7: 1303Mhz

Annoyed I didn't think to try this sooner. Thank you guys again. This makes sense why it's affecting certain cards and not others. For the record, I have very good system cooling and air flow, and a 700W PSU. I know my system can handle the RX 480 at full load.

Leave a comment:

• clapbr
    replied
    Sorry to keep asking, but I went digging in the logs after another hang happened today on BioShock Infinite (nothing was out of the ordinary in GALLIUM_HUD).

Can anyone help me decipher what they think could be the issue here?
    A blind shot, did you test any non-steam games?

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Originally posted by Etherman View Post

Thats an MSI factory overclock?
    On my Sapphire i got less mhz by flicking the BIOS switch on the card.
    Yeah it's this card right here: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/Ra.../Specification. I don't use the OC mode though, which is apparently 1316/2025.

Another thing I noticed was the voltage did seem a little low when the game was playing:

Code:
    amdgpu-pci-0100
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    vddgfx:       +1.09 V
    fan1:        1595 RPM
    temp1:        +65.0°C  (crit = +94.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
    power1:      147.03 W  (cap = 180.00 W)
    I thought voltage would be more around 1.175 V, but I'm just speculating here.

Leave a comment:

• Etherman
    replied
    I have the MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB that has default clocks of 1303/2000 so I leave it at that for gaming with fans on auto. The temperature never gets too high, though.
    Thats an MSI factory overclock?
    On my Sapphire i got less mhz by flicking the BIOS switch on the card.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X