X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

Shouldn't it be:
    Requested VRAM >= 1175 MB?
    I don't know for sure. I was under the assumption "requested VRAM" was how much the game asked for, and "VRAM usage" was total used by the GPU, including for other things, so in this case:

948MB - Metro 2033 Redux
    227MB - Other
    ------
    1.175 GB total

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
      Well, is anyone working on fixing kernel 4.19 so AMDGPU works with my R9 390 again? I'm beginning to worry I'll be in the dead zone for another year, again.
      Is there a bug report for this? It sucks that the driver keeps having regressions, but the devs are unlikely to fix something they are not aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

I can't say for certain, but I've set everything in BIOS to stock defaults just to isolate from any CPU overclocking, etc.

I have the MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB that has default clocks of 1303/2000 so I leave it at that for gaming with fans on auto. The temperature never gets too high, though.

I hear you, man. It's starting to give me unnecessary anxiety because I know that GPU hang is coming for me, it's just a matter of when. Seems to happen at a crucial times too, right before an auto-save checkpoint or last few seconds of a Rocket League multiplayer match.
        Well I have the same video card, btw what other spec in your hardware, as I can see you use Ubuntu I' m using Arch (I was considering try to install other distro to test out, but knowing happen to you with Ubuntu I will ditch that option). I played rocket league but the hang occurs when I' m playing wihtout can be in 10 min, 20 or more same reason as Dota 2. Now with the update of the kernel 4.19 on arch I have some screen issues at 144hz, so i must set the monitor to 120hz, to avoid those problems.

Comment

Originally posted by raonlinux View Post

Well I have the same video card, btw what other spec in your hardware, as I can see you use Ubuntu I' m using Arch (I was considering try to install other distro to test out, but knowing happen to you with Ubuntu I will ditch that option). I played rocket league but the hang occurs when I' m playing wihtout can be in 10 min, 20 or more same reason as Dota 2. Now with the update of the kernel 4.19 on arch I have some screen issues at 144hz, so i must set the monitor to 120hz, to avoid those problems.
          Ahh, you are my arch doppelganger! Yes, I had the 144hz issue as well with kernel 4.19 (this is fixed in 4.20 if you want to try it out).

Another user was having the issue as well but they had a Vega 56. I'm currently on 4.18.18 (until 4.20 is released) for this exact reason.

Comment

Ahh, you are my arch doppelganger! Yes, I had the 144hz issue as well with kernel 4.19 (this is fixed in 4.20 if you want to try it out).

Another user was having the issue as well but they had a Vega 56. I'm currently on 4.18.18 (until 4.20 is released) for this exact reason.

Thanks for the tip, I will decide if I leave the 120hz is just 24 hz less, but as you tested and found that you are gpu reset anway with that kernel (4.20) not need to upgrade for the issue with the 144hz, so the best will downgrade the kernel and wait for 4.20 officially release on arch. Thanks again for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post

Is there a bug report for this? It sucks that the driver keeps having regressions, but the devs are unlikely to fix something they are not aware of.
              Ha! I'd love to but the Manjaro developers don't care, or at least have never acknowledged any of the bug reports I took the time to make, and the upstream developers on Bugzilla just get mad and yell at you if you file a bug about Manjaro.

But if someone knows where I can file a bug report that someone will actually consider, I'll take the time to file one again. The error is pretty obvious, and right at the beginning of boot so there's not even a journalctl log, just a brief Xorg log. It begins with "/dev/dri/card0: failed to set DRM interface version 1.4: Permission denied"

And by the way I'm used to fixing things myself and took all the PCI cards out of my system, tried different slots, and different GPUs, etc. Everything works fine except my R9 390 with amdgpu enabled. I of course also looked for similar errors, and they were sometimes caused by libdrm so I tried compiling it from git but everything failed exactly the same way. So it looks like something in the kernel is hosing things up.

If I have time later I'll try amdgpu-pro but I've never gotten it to work on Manjaro, so I don't have a lot of hope that will help.
              Last edited by muncrief; 16 November 2018, 02:14 AM.

Comment

I also have an MSI Gaming X RX480 and get random GPU hangs. Sometimes it will be a week Sometimes only an hour. But they always come. DMESG always shows it's a GPU recovery problem. I'm really hoping it gets fixed soon.

Comment

Please AMD just add proper fan RPM controls in the next batch.... The pmw sysfs interface is broken for my Tonga and my fan is either on 150ish RPM or 3500, nothing in between. So even on idle (seems it uses too much power on idle) i get to periodically hear a loud fan for a few seconds (i have set it to increase the fan after 70celcius, the auto setting let the gpu reach 100 before increasing it).

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    What you want is a stable gaming rig. I think you whiners are are dual booting beginners, you are not interested to make your Linux system stable. Whining here does help anything, inspect your Linux system and make good bug reports.
                    Quit the bullshit, debianxfce. I already mentioned I had everything on stock clocks to isolate the problem. Not to mention I've tested my system with prime95 and memtest86 to double check. Just because it's not happening to you doesn't mean it's not possible for it to happen to others.

Comment

Quit the bullshit, debianxfce. I already mentioned I had everything on stock clocks to isolate the problem. Not to mention I've tested my system with prime95 and memtest86 to double check. Just because it's not happening to you doesn't mean it's not possible for it to happen to others.
                      Don't pay him no mind. Despite his obvious technical competence, he unfortunately often fulfills the cliché of the unfriendly Linux geek who prefers to publish destructive insinuations rather than constructively use his knowledge for the community. Unfortunately there are too many of them.

In regard to your problems: Have you tried a DisplayPort cable? Have you activated memory XMP (DOCP on Asus boards)? I had similar issues on my machine with the XMP profile deactivated. BR

Comment

Working...
                      X