Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU reset visible to user?

Hi there,
    when amdgpu.gpu_recovery and amdgpu.lockup_timeout is set and the GPU automatically performs a GPU reset, is this reset visible to the user?
    Will it confuse in some way X or the desktop?
    Or is such a reset invisible to the user?

Thanks!

You'll need to restart your desktop environment until the applications properly support context lost.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      You'll need to restart your desktop environment until the applications properly support context lost.
      Ok.
      In case of a reset, will there be additional entries in the kernel log?

Is it possible to improve system stability by setting amdgpu.lockup_timeout to a low value?
      I have a mobile Raven Ridge system and after setting amdgpu.lockup_timeout=200 my impression is I have much less (currently zero!) system freezes....
      Usually with Raven Ridge a system freeze happens from time to time.

Thanxs

Comment

Originally posted by Fernseher View Post

Ok.
        In case of a reset, will there be additional entries in the kernel log?

Is it possible to improve system stability by setting amdgpu.lockup_timeout to a low value?
        I have a mobile Raven Ridge system and after setting amdgpu.lockup_timeout=200 my impression is I have much less (currently zero!) system freezes....
        Usually with Raven Ridge a system freeze happens from time to time.

Thanxs
        Yes if the GPU resets, it will be noted in the log. Changing the timeout just adjusts the amount of time an engine has to be unresponsive before the driver will attempt to reset it.

Comment

fyi, it will show up in the log as:

Nov 15 09:22:51 ubuntu kernel: [33170.778198] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: GPU reset begin!

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            The gpu reset mechanism does not help Xfce, the screen gets corrupted and the system is unresponsive. I had this with the latest AMD wip kernel when reset did happen.
            Until X/wayland properly handles context lost, you'll need to restart X after a GPU reset.

Comment

Working...
            X