No announcement yet.

The Radeon GCN Backend Is Still Being Worked On For GCC, GCC 9 Deadline Looms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Radeon GCN Backend Is Still Being Worked On For GCC, GCC 9 Deadline Looms

Phoronix: The Radeon GCN Backend Is Still Being Worked On For GCC, GCC 9 Deadline Looms

Back in September Code Sourcery / Mentor Graphics posted their new Radeon GCN port for the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC). Two months later this port is still being worked on but not yet ready for mainline...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...N-GCC-November

I think AMD should prioritize opensource compute above any other software project e..g. desktop-drivers, freesync, hardware media en/de-coding, etc...

It looks like ROCm is almost stable, might be "production ready" by 2019. From this article it looks like AMD is still far off from OpenMP/OpenACC GPU offloading. I would argue finish off and polish ROCm first? Make it easy to install on multiple distros or at least give support to people creating packages for distros. Focus on generic and application/library specific issues reported by the community. Nvidia has had many years to create/cultivate an environment where it's easy to use for new developers coming into compute industry.

I might be a bit ignorant on this topic (could GCC's OpenMP/OpenACC be a better fit for ROCm?) so I would love to know what others think about this.

EDIT:
    For what it's worth, I got some deep learning tests working using low-end hardware (skylake i3 and polaris11/rx 560 4gb) today. It was very easy after installing Ubuntu 18.04 since there's no need to try and compile from source.

I needed to do a few workarounds and dependency management to get tensorflow 1.11 and keras working. It took me roughly 4 hours. AMD's tensorflow repos' readme files are incorrect and you need to spend a lot of time to find the correct documentation. I understand that they want to send pull requests to the upstream repo(s), but a wiki page or issue that points to correct information will do wonders for new users.

Getting everything working (tested on different hardware) and merged upstream is crucial!

Good luck and thanks for providing an open alternative.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 11-13-2018, 04:00 PM. Reason: Added testing feedback, everything after EDIT mark

Comment

Working...
    X