Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU DRM-Next Driver Picks Up Support For Vega 20 "A1" Stepping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMDGPU DRM-Next Driver Picks Up Support For Vega 20 "A1" Stepping

    Phoronix: AMDGPU DRM-Next Driver Picks Up Support For Vega 20 "A1" Stepping

    Among the work queuing in the AMDGPU DRM-Next branch for what will in turn appear with the next kernel cycle (Linux 4.21) is support for Vega 20 A1 ASICs...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-20-A1-Patches

  • #2
    Hope there will be a new Vega for normal gamers too. I tried to replace my RX480 with a Vega 64 but it had terrible loud inductor/coil noises. Will try Vega only again if the is a new generation released.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
      I tried to replace my RX480 with a Vega 64 but it had terrible loud inductor/coil noises. Will try Vega only again if the is a new generation released.

      There are several vendors that make Vega 64 GPU cards and that is a vendor related problem. Buy from Asus only.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by debianxfce View Post


        There are several vendors that make Vega 64 GPU cards and that is a vendor related problem. Buy from Asus only.
        I have lots of Asus components and some are great, but my last Asus graphics card (R9 290X ROG Matrix) was a terrible disappointment. Best AMD based cards generally come from Sapphire.

        Let's not forget that the Vega64 is a very power hungry card which makes it difficult to find one without coil whine. Best way to avoid it in my experience is to somehow cap the framerate because it's most likely to happen at insanely high framerates.
        Last edited by Brisse; 11-11-2018, 10:51 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          It looks like the A1 stepping is what will reach the markets early next year with the A0 firmware filename being renamed to "_old"
          I wonder why they can't just use version numbers like normal people.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Brisse View Post

            I have lots of Asus components and some are great, but my last Asus graphics card (R9 290X ROG Matrix) was a terrible disappointment. Best AMD based cards generally come from Sapphire.

            Let's not forget that the Vega64 is a very power hungry card which makes it difficult to find one without coil whine. Best way to avoid it in my experience is to somehow cap the framerate because it's most likely to happen at insanely high framerates.
            Yeah, never had any issues with my Sapphire cards.
            But sadly, Vega56/64 is not really an attractive upgrade from my rx580 right now...and even when the drivers mature a good bit more it still isn't the greatest ever...so hopes for a vega20 consumer card are not out of place ^^

            Comment


            • #7
              Wake me when ROCm 2.0 and a stable amdgpu/amdkfd are in the default Linux kernel for us Polaris fans to have on any distribution. This WIP reportitis is getting nauseating. It's always a ``coming soon'' report.

              Comment

              Working...
              X