No announcement yet.

Linux Desktop, How good is Vega / Polaris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

debianxfce how often do you update your kernel, which one do you use? The 21 wip? I see that repos has frequent commits which is great, it shows decent activity. But it's not so great for a stable system, I wouldn't want to recompile and install a new kernel every day. The oibaf repo also gets updated frequently and getting updates from there means xorg restart (which isn't that much better than a full reboot).

I guess I want to learn from you about what your workflow is in keeping your system current and stable. With my (dual core i7) broadwell nuc this hasn't been an issue so far, it's been rock solid (albeit slow in comparison with what's available today and no AAA 3d gaming on that either).

Comment

I meant, how often do you do it? Do you check for an updated kernel daily? Do you use a script to dl/recompile/patch/install it? That's what I'd do but I never needed to on account of the nuc having been so stable. I use my machine for my (full-time) job so the time I have to tinker with the OS itself is limited.

Comment

Originally posted by lichtenstein View Post
        I meant, how often do you do it? Do you check for an updated kernel daily? Do you use a script to dl/recompile/patch/install it? That's what I'd do but I never needed to on account of the nuc having been so stable. I use my machine for my (full-time) job so the time I have to tinker with the OS itself is limited.
        If you're going this route I recommend you optimize compilation with modprobed-db to remove unused drivers (can be done manually) and ccache to cache subsequent compilations. Compilations take less than 5 minutes for me now. ccache will also help a lot when recompiling big stuff like mesa, wine, chromium etc.

Comment

clapbr thanks for that advice. With a 2700x compiling should be faster still. What worries me more is not that but the (accumulated) time of maintaining the system. Ideally, I wouldn't want to chase down different components, make sure they work together, maintain the builds and such - time wise it adds up. So in the beginning I'll try whatever ukuu provides, kernel wise, and oibaf or padoka or x-swat. I hope this works well.

Comment

Right, so, FYI I ordered the parts today:

2700x (will try stock cooler first)
            sapphire vega 56 (I was planning on going for the 580 but I found a great deal at 300 eur, ebay)
            2x16gb 3200 cl16 ripjaws
            asus x470 gaming-f board
            bequiet pure power 11 700w psu
            bequiet 600 case
            (will reuse my existing samsung 850 pro sata ssd)

atm I'm running ubuntu's 4.19.3 kernel plus the x-swat repo (mesa is at 18.2.2) but padoka/oibaf ppas are not "far"

Thoughts (as in, pats on the shoulder and "good on ya, mate"s and "you go, girl!"s)? It's the hugest machine I've ever had, once I put it together.

Will simply transplanting the ssd (has xubuntu installed, running in the nuc atm) into the new build work or do I need to enable DC for the kernel explicitly? Any other vega specific things/params I should be aware of?
            Last edited by lichtenstein; 22 November 2018, 06:00 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Hehe, it is a sapphire but a ref design, no pulse or nitro. So it looks like just any other vega (and it will probably be just as loud so I'll have to tweak that). But 300 bucks was too good of a deal to pass up. The mobo is asus (I've actually been at Asus' plant in Taiwan, they have a mural of Mona Lisa made of motherboard parts in their lobby):
              An unexpected tribute to Leonardo da Vinci’s incomparable work of art lies in the lobby of PC maker Asus’ headquarters in Taiwan. It’s a Mona Lisa collage created from old motherboards and computer chips. It’s no patch on the real thing but is still an amazing work of geek art. Asus designers reportedly dreamed up […]

Comment

Yep, no worries and thanks for that. The plan is to see how I go with what I already have running (aforementioned ubuntu and oibaf). If that runs ok (and the fans adjustment too) I should be good. If it doesn't, I can dust up my knowledge about kernel configuration/compilation.

I'm wary of using the wip kernel though. I found that even with ubuntu's 4.19.3 I experience issues with my (ext4) home partition. At times, it would go into read only mode. The ssd itself is fine, reboot in 4.15 or 4.18 works and then there are no issues anymore. I've not much time to research the cause online. I'll have to spend time figuring out how to undervolt and/or adjust the fan curve on this vega monster.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  and remove and cpu fan control from kernel
                  How is this accomplished? Kernel parameter I set in grub or what?

Comment

Damn Black Friday (yea, like Halloween it's gone international), I bought a 500gb evo 970 for less than 100 bucks. I am now "complete" .

Comment

I'll test it as soon as it arrives. I'm thinking of doing something different with the OS this time: a colleague of mine swears by manjaro so now that I will have a fresh new machine, I'll try that too. Nothing of the parts has arrived yet, I expect some today, some - early next week.

Comment

Working...
                      X