Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anticipated Linux Driver Requirements For The Radeon Instinct MI50 / MI60 (Vega 20)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Card mostly used for computing and AI runs only on the OS that is most commonly used for computing and AI, more news at 20:00.
    A well, that makes sense then. I am more interested in a new gaming card and so I guess this class won't be it.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    I'm excited to see some benches of these class cards. It's about due time for me to get a new card and am interested in see a sort of a "generation by generation" cross comparison.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Are you talking about for MI60 or RX 590? I don't personally know many of the other people, but really isn't worthwhile anyways bending over backwards and wasting the time trying to figure out alternatives if AMD doesn't want to send one out... Their loss - not a lot of Linux benchmarks then, don't know how they aren't aware of my many and routine Linux benchmarks beyond the initial review of driver/kernel updates, other comparisons, etc.

As far as RX 590, if they aren't sampling me, I'll end up buying one when it becomes available... Obviously for Radeon Instinct that isn't an option.
    Maybe you can write article on to Why Microsoft Constantly Breaks AMD Drivers on Linux? Microsoft behaves like he is an gold digger in the wild west saloon, harrasment free my ass

That AMDGPU power issue with 4.18 was done by MS dev and someone told me how another MS dev breaks many third party drivers including FGLRX on same 4.18 kernel... but that was during merging somewhere, didn't inspected that yet

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
    No mention of Windows-support. Looks like the card will be Linux-exclusive.
    Maybe MS Linux is new Windows, as we now have MS inside breaking things around harassment free

Maybe Microsoft will buy let say Canonical, so it does not matter... Merry Christmas
    Last edited by dungeon; 08 November 2018, 12:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Looks like it has a Mini-DisplayPort to me. Wonder if somebody will fiddle about a bit and get Mesa running on it. ;- )

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Buntolo View Post
    Can you find an agreement with other IT news sites to share one between you for review purposes? Like you look for, say, other 10 sites and ask alltogether AMD a sample for you all as a group.
    Are you talking about for MI60 or RX 590? I don't personally know many of the other people, but really isn't worthwhile anyways bending over backwards and wasting the time trying to figure out alternatives if AMD doesn't want to send one out... Their loss - not a lot of Linux benchmarks then, don't know how they aren't aware of my many and routine Linux benchmarks beyond the initial review of driver/kernel updates, other comparisons, etc.

As far as RX 590, if they aren't sampling me, I'll end up buying one when it becomes available... Obviously for Radeon Instinct that isn't an option.

Leave a comment:

• Buntolo
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

For the MI50/MI60? Probably very unlikely... I haven't received any AMD professional cards since before the GCN days, 2011. Nor have I been briefed on RX 590 - I assume they did some briefing/sampling during the AMD event this week after hours.
    Can you find an agreement with other IT news sites to share one between you for review purposes? Like you look for, say, other 10 sites and ask alltogether AMD a sample for you all as a group.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    I wonder how these compare vs nvidia's offerings with say tensorflow?

Does Michael have any machine learning benchmarks in place with PTS? Maybe one of the AMD staff that read here would be able to help get one of the cards loaned out to Michael if AMD is not big on donating one.

Leave a comment:

• mphuZ
    replied
    ROCM 2.0 will be released in December 11-25, along with a big Radeon Software update.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Brisse View Post
    No mention of Windows-support. Looks like the card will be Linux-exclusive.
    Card mostly used for computing and AI runs only on the OS that is most commonly used for computing and AI, more news at 20:00.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by boxie View Post

what do you think your chances are of getting a review sample?
    For the MI50/MI60? Probably very unlikely... I haven't received any AMD professional cards since before the GCN days, 2011. Nor have I been briefed on RX 590 - I assume they did some briefing/sampling during the AMD event this week after hours.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X