Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anticipated Linux Driver Requirements For The Radeon Instinct MI50 / MI60 (Vega 20)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

For the MI50/MI60? Probably very unlikely... I haven't received any AMD professional cards since before the GCN days, 2011. Nor have I been briefed on RX 590 - I assume they did some briefing/sampling during the AMD event this week after hours.
    Can you find an agreement with other IT news sites to share one between you for review purposes? Like you look for, say, other 10 sites and ask alltogether AMD a sample for you all as a group.

Comment

Originally posted by Buntolo View Post
      Can you find an agreement with other IT news sites to share one between you for review purposes? Like you look for, say, other 10 sites and ask alltogether AMD a sample for you all as a group.
      Are you talking about for MI60 or RX 590? I don't personally know many of the other people, but really isn't worthwhile anyways bending over backwards and wasting the time trying to figure out alternatives if AMD doesn't want to send one out... Their loss - not a lot of Linux benchmarks then, don't know how they aren't aware of my many and routine Linux benchmarks beyond the initial review of driver/kernel updates, other comparisons, etc.

As far as RX 590, if they aren't sampling me, I'll end up buying one when it becomes available... Obviously for Radeon Instinct that isn't an option.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Looks like it has a Mini-DisplayPort to me. Wonder if somebody will fiddle about a bit and get Mesa running on it. ;- )

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Are you talking about for MI60 or RX 590? I don't personally know many of the other people, but really isn't worthwhile anyways bending over backwards and wasting the time trying to figure out alternatives if AMD doesn't want to send one out... Their loss - not a lot of Linux benchmarks then, don't know how they aren't aware of my many and routine Linux benchmarks beyond the initial review of driver/kernel updates, other comparisons, etc.

As far as RX 590, if they aren't sampling me, I'll end up buying one when it becomes available... Obviously for Radeon Instinct that isn't an option.
          Maybe you can write article on to Why Microsoft Constantly Breaks AMD Drivers on Linux? Microsoft behaves like he is an gold digger in the wild west saloon, harrasment free my ass

That AMDGPU power issue with 4.18 was done by MS dev and someone told me how another MS dev breaks many third party drivers including FGLRX on same 4.18 kernel... but that was during merging somewhere, didn't inspected that yet

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
          No mention of Windows-support. Looks like the card will be Linux-exclusive.
          Maybe MS Linux is new Windows, as we now have MS inside breaking things around harassment free

Maybe Microsoft will buy let say Canonical, so it does not matter... Merry Christmas
          Last edited by dungeon; 08 November 2018, 12:42 PM.

Comment

I'm excited to see some benches of these class cards. It's about due time for me to get a new card and am interested in see a sort of a "generation by generation" cross comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Card mostly used for computing and AI runs only on the OS that is most commonly used for computing and AI, more news at 20:00.
              A well, that makes sense then. I am more interested in a new gaming card and so I guess this class won't be it.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                Maybe MS Linux is new Windows, as we now have MS inside breaking things around harassment free

Maybe Microsoft will buy let say Canonical, so it does not matter... Merry Christmas
                I get that you are just joking around, but trust me, this is going to happen.

Edit: Forgot to use emojis:
                Last edited by Brisse; 08 November 2018, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

I get that you are just joking around, but trust me, this is going to happen.

Edit: Forgot to use emojis
                  Ha, ha, i am not joking i am laughing

MS bought Github this year, they also take i think 6 games developer studios just to make more XBOne exclusives and whatever else... so they could buy Canonical even without noticing it

Same way they break linux code without noticing it, so Merry Christmas
                  Last edited by dungeon; 08 November 2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Ha, ha, i am not joking i am laughing

MS bought Github this year, they also take i think 6 games developer studios just to make more XBOne exclusives and whatever else... so they could buy Canonical even without noticing it

Same way they break linux code without noticing it, so Merry Christmas
                    Well, we already know MS has no chance to buy RedHat...... So, good news.....

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                      Looks like it has a Mini-DisplayPort to me. Wonder if somebody will fiddle about a bit and get Mesa running on it. ;- )
                      I know that deep neural nets are the latest craze that gets all the attention (and I say that, working in an environment were most are doing data analysis), but there are people using clusters to *render* stuff. It's very likely that this card will run Mesa and specially vulkan.

Also some dev will eventually have a single unit plugged into their workstation to test and develop code before deploying on the cluster. Might as well use it to display stuff (like the editor) on the screen.

Both above together mean, that yes, you'll actually be able to play games. Though for that use, the extremely large memory might be a bit of over-kill, specially given the high price tag attached to it.

Comment

Working...
                      X