No announcement yet.

AMDGPU Reset Recovery To Be Flipped On By Default For Newer Radeon GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hangs I have is while gaming. Desktop under KDE 5 is very stable.

On games it generally is on the bleeding edge side of drivers and poor ported Linux games. Steam Proton have some nasty hangs, but that's expected since it's highly experimental on today's stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Med_ View Post

It would be worth a try. How do you alter that with AMDGPU?
      I used a pwm fan control app that does it for me. Not currently in front of my machine atm, but a quick Google search should yield what you want

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

What is your system specs? Do you measure temps and do you have good airflow in the case? Is your computer clean?
        That is a very important aspect on a system performance and stability, that generally goes under people's radar. Laptops can be particularly sensible to dirt and poor air circulation. PCs need hot air to be taken out of the case. I personally have cut fan grids out of 2 cases of mine to improve efficiency, since things get hot in the summer where I live and air conditioning is not a option.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

What is your system specs? Do you measure temps and do you have good airflow in the case? Is your computer clean? That reset patch does not solve anything, tested with RX560. When X freezes, it does not help X to recover.
          RX480. I will try to log temperature to see whether that happens on possible temperature spikes. However the GPU fans are not at max speed when this occurs (in fact as soon as there is the hang, they do spin up to max speed). The case is clean and the airflow should be OK. I can increase a bit the case fan speed (linked to CPU fan speed) to see whether that help.

One maybe interesting bit, is that I nearly get a checkered pattern on the screen when the hang occurs.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael

…what will eventually be either Linux 4.21 or Linux 5.1
            Or 5.0.

Comment

Have you had any Radeon GPU hangs under Linux recently? Or any particular Radeon Linux driver bugs still biting you?

every time I start the saga metro 2033, it does not matter if they are the original version or redux.

after the introduction video the screen turns black and nothing can be done anymore, that happens to me from Metro was launched in linux, and no matter what version of GNU / Linux or MESA3D I use, the same thing always happens.

now I'm with ubuntu 18.10 and the repositories of padoka and the problem persists to this day, it always happens to me with my Radeon R9 290.

Comment

100% reproduction case GPU hang for Vega 56/64:
                Launch The Evil Within Demo https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...e_Evil_Within/ via steam play and watch first cut scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Med_ View Post

I will try to log temperature to see whether that happens on possible temperature spikes.
                  What maximum temperature should I expect to avoid any related problem? I just had a game of XCOM 2. Temperature hovered around 70°C the whole time with a short spike at 80°C.

Comment

Good. Now dxvk hangs if any won't be so severe as to require reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                      Have you had any Radeon GPU hangs under Linux recently?
                      Not anymore. With one exception, but this problem also happens on Windows: My card sometimes due to AC voltage variance, cosmic fluctuations or lack of ground, randomly self-resets (goes to a "0MHz" power clock, turns the screen off and resets the fan speed). I don't know how to plug it in again, which is most likely impossible.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                      Or any particular Radeon Linux driver bugs still biting you?
                      I can't encode in H.264... (the encoding slice is now present but is useless)
                      Last edited by tildearrow; 28 October 2018, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X