Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie68
    replied
    I resume this discussion, as the problem of these messages continues, although we have reached kernel 5.4. In these days I have checked if there are news and I have found many recent discussions of users with this problem.
    The other day I formatted my notebook and went from Tumbleweed to Leap 15.1, the messages disappeared and above all I noticed that the notebook is much faster during the boot phase.
    Leap uses the 4.12 kernel, so something has happened with the latest kernels, it is unusual for an old kernel to be much faster than a new kernel. I have also noticed many open bugs and hopefully it will be fixed.

Leave a comment:

• jlavi
    replied
    I am seeing this message sometimes for example when plugging Color Munki spectrometer. My kernel is 4.19. I think I have seen it mentioned somewhere this message started with 4.15 interrupt changes.

The problem is that arch/x86/kernel/irq.c:do_IRQ uses pr_emerg* which is then spammed on every terminal. Some people have added "pci=nomsi,noaer" to get rid off the message. For me this breaks platform shutdown method in suspend to ram and hibernation and machine won't enter suspend or shut down.

Instead I have lowered the corresponding pr_emerg* to pr_err*. The message can still be seen with dmesg and in syslog but it is not spammed to every terminal.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Sorry, but if you like Debian use Debian, nobody tells you to change, I prefer Tumbleweed and use tumbleweed. I do not like Debian, I do not like package management, I've always had problems with Debian and Debian based, but I do not want to convince you, I do not care, but please avoid convincing me of the contrary!

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You would benefit a lot of a custom non debug 1000Hz timer kernel. Booting is many seconds faster even with an ssd and programs runs faster. Debian based distributions are easier, faster and lighter than tumbleweed.

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?i...81210#opensuse

On the negative side, a number of things didn't work during my time with the distribution. Media support was broken, the Discover software manager had a number of issues and some configuration modules caused me headaches. These rough edges sometimes get fixed, but may be traded out for other problems since the operating system is ever in flux.

In the long term, a bigger issue may be the amount of network bandwidth and disk space Tumbleweed consumes. Just to keep up with updates we need set aside around 1GB of downloads per month and (when Btrfs snapshots are used) even more disk space. In a few weeks Tumbleweed consumed more disk space with far fewer programs installed as my installation of MX Linux.
    I understand, however they are only messages, the system works very well and does not change distribution due to these messages. I feel very comfortable with Tumbleweed and with openSUSE in general (I also use Leap 15) so I do not change distribution, also because Tumbleweed on my PC works great and gives me the possibility to have the last packages when they pass the tests, moreover Yast is spectacular! So I will never go to Debian for this reason. A greeting.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    I think it's too difficult for me, anyway I thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Originally posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    I recently noticed this annoying message on my install of xubuntu 18.04 linux 4.15/4.18 and after around 2 hours messing with stuff i noticed finally tracking down how to make it STFU, in my BIOS i have a Super I/O section that contains a PS/2 Y cable option and a serial port function, with the serial port option disabled the message is gone, page 122 of this my manual: ftp://asrock.cn/Manual/Fatal1ty%20Z9...ofessional.pdf

i have 2 main profiles saved, one is for my daily overclock and one is my non overlcocked settings, this message only appeared on my OC profile but turning off all OC stuff did not remove it after going through every difference using a cell phone camera to compare settings 1 page at a time when i found this difference that triggers the issue
    Thanks, unfortunately, my bios is very minimal and I have no rumors about it.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    It is also possible to compile the kernel for your hardware regardless of the distribution in use. But I was only asking if there is a way to hide those messages.

Leave a comment:

• pqwoerituytrueiwoq
    replied
    I recently noticed this annoying message on my install of xubuntu 18.04 linux 4.15/4.18 and after around 2 hours messing with stuff i noticed finally tracking down how to make it STFU, in my BIOS i have a Super I/O section that contains a PS/2 Y cable option and a serial port function, with the serial port option disabled the message is gone, page 122 of this my manual: ftp://asrock.cn/Manual/Fatal1ty%20Z9...ofessional.pdf

i have 2 main profiles saved, one is for my daily overclock and one is my non overlcocked settings, this message only appeared on my OC profile but turning off all OC stuff did not remove it after going through every difference using a cell phone camera to compare settings 1 page at a time when i found this difference that triggers the issue

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Yes, the problem is just these stupid message at startup that would not be a problem for me, but when I install it to some of my friends, these messages are a problem despite my attempt to reassure them that they are harmless.
    Possible that there is not a way to hide them? Can we go to Mars and we can not hide these messages?

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    I did a bit of research on this problem and I found several open bugs and it seems that the 4.18 kernel does not solve the problem.
    I'm not sure that this bug has nothing to do with Amd, all the open bugs I've read (all recent) have Amd graphics.
    For example this https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=912085 or https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1781016 or https://www.mail-archive.com/search?...2&o=newest&f=1

Leave a comment:

Working...
X