AMDVLK Radeon Vulkan Driver Updated With A Slew Of Additions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gurv View Post

- the most serious one: it's not an open community.

- it's shared with Windows.

- without the PROPRIETARY compiler, it's inferior to RADV.
    1. It is open. AMD promised to improve communication with developers. Wait December.

2. And this is great! One code for different platforms (perhaps not only Windows and Linux in the future). Developers must be complete idiots to not take advantage of this opportunity.

3. AMDVLK is built on the same LLVM. They said that in the future they would try to completely switch to it.

L_A_G is right. RADV exists because it is needed for Valve experiments. Valve and AMD should as soon as possible to establish development AMDVLK, which develops very quickly, otherwise due to the fragmentation of the drivers on Linux again the problems begin.

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post

1. It is open. AMD promised to improve communication with developers. Wait December.
      That's just not true. All development is done behind close doors and just dumped out into the open every 2 weeks. That's not an open community project as the original poster said. It's open source code, at most. There's a big difference. I don't know what's coming in December. Maybe that will change things, but we should wait and see rather than just assuming anything.

2. And this is great! One code for different platforms (perhaps not only Windows and Linux in the future). Developers must be complete idiots to not take advantage of this opportunity.
      It has pros and cons. I don't think devs are complete idiots, and for the moment they don't seem to be caring much about amdvlk. That can obviously change. I think Valve is probably the key to determining which driver devs rally behind, and it sounds like they've had some pretty awful interactions with AMD over the last few years trying to get their linux drivers up to scratch, so that's probably why they seem to focusing everything on the open source radv driver they can actually fix up and add to whenever they need to for some game, rather than relying so much on AMD to do things for them.

3. AMDVLK is built on the same LLVM. They said that in the future they would try to completely switch to it.
      AMDVLK-PRO has a proprietary compiler which gives it better performance. AMDVLK-Open uses LLVM, and as a result tends to be slower than radv in most games. Yes, it sounds like AMD is trying to improve LLVM to get it on par with their proprietary compiler, but radv should also be able to take advantage of those same performance boosts, and this is all currently theoretical and not done yet. We'll see what things look like in a year or two. I certainly wouldn't count on it being done before then given history.

L_A_G is right. RADV exists because it is needed for Valve experiments. Valve and AMD should as soon as possible to establish development AMDVLK, which develops very quickly, otherwise due to the fragmentation of the drivers on Linux again the problems begin.
      I don't think there is much fragmentation, actually. Pretty much everyone is fully backing radv at the moment, other than AMD of course. I think most game devs at least will follow whatever Valve recommends, as they are the ones driving most of the development to begin with. If they ever switch to amdvlk, that's when the fragmentation will occur, as some distros will follow suit while others will resist switching.
      Last edited by smitty3268; 20 October 2018, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gurv View Post
        Your argument basically just boils down to complaining about how it's sharing code with the Windows driver with FUD comparable to what Microsoft was putting out in the late 90s to early 2000s and a whole bunch of misinformation on how it's supposedly not open because third party developers have mostly contributed to RADV, a third party driver.

It seems like basic pragmatism is also a completely alien concept to you with the way you act like any and all closed source software is somehow unacceptable when the reality if you believe something that doesn't mean any significant number of people are going to agree with you and the simple fact that something like 99% of people simply don't give a damn about open or closed source.

Comment

It's pretty much impossible for non amd Devs to contribute to vlk more than bug reports

Comment

Working...
          X