AMDGPU DC Display Code Ported To GCN 1.0 "Southern Islands" GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strunkenbold View Post
    True, but only for 5800 / 6900 Series cards. All other cards need fp64 support to reach OpenGL 4.0.
    Soft FP64 patches appeared in March but never got reviewed and thus, went into Master.
    That's because those cards are hardware incompatible with FP64. So, I'm not sure what else you can be asking for.

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
    4 years is old?
    The HD 7000 series was released in 2012. Not sure how that equates to 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      4 years is old?
      I think polarathene is referring to AMD continuing to release "new" cards based on GCN 1.0 for several years. The R7 370 was released 06/18/2015 (basically a refreshed Radeon HD 7850). So really a little more than 3 years old. All the GCN based cards share the most fundamental design which is why driver support over the generations shouldn't add too much burden. Where is the 5000/6000 is quite drastically different to the 7000+ (GCN) series. Its a shame the software FP64 support never got merged but I've been able to play plenty of games on an old Radeon HD 6670 by setting the Mesa Open GL overrides to 4 since (AFAIK) not one single game has ever used FP64 from OpenGL.

With DC support does this mean GCN 1.0 cards will be able to support Freesync?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        Good cause one of the problems with AMD GPU's is how AMD tends to let slightly older hardware be left behind. 5000 and 6000 series cards are still stuck at OpenGL 3.3, while GCN 1.0 cards need you to jump through hoops to enable AMDGPU for Vulkan. This needs attention.
        I mean you are right, but r600g is only missing one extension for 4.4 support. Every single person can do the GL override trick to get full gl4.4. And that's better than any of those cards ever supported on windows.

Comment

<3

Yes, please merge DC support for GCN 1.0
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            Eh, Dave Airlie was afaik one of the core group that architected KMS. He's been very involved with opensource drivers for entire radeon series afaik at least all the way to ATi days
            Not quite...

Dave was one of the guys who sided with ATI to counter the real open source driver written by SuSE for AMD (ATIs new owner which was working hard to try to get ATI under control and to clean up the big mess that was there) and Dave only started development close to 5 months after the development of the real driver had started, and 2 months after the real driver was made public. Dave did more to keep the fglrx ways going than he helped progress either technically or with respect to open source affinity.

Also, the original KMS infrastructure was laughable to any display driver developer worth their salts. The most amazing transgression is how we only got useful cursor support like 3 years ago, and cursors are trivial.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
              Not quite...

Dave was one of the guys who sided with ATI to counter the real open source driver written by SuSE for AMD (ATIs new owner which was working hard to try to get ATI under control and to clean up the big mess that was there) and Dave only started development close to 5 months after the development of the real driver had started, and 2 months after the real driver was made public. Dave did more to keep the fglrx ways going than he helped progress either technically or with respect to open source affinity.

Also, the original KMS infrastructure was laughable to any display driver developer worth their salts. The most amazing transgression is how we only got useful cursor support like 3 years ago, and cursors are trivial.
              Except that it took years just to get modesetting up and then in the end you had to use AtomBIOS anyways.... Hindsight is 20/20 and now we know for sure what was right...

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Except that it took years just to get modesetting up and then in the end you had to use AtomBIOS anyways.... Hindsight is 20/20 and now we know for sure what was right...
                You mean weeks, not years, and we actually were forced to use atombios as AMD lost control of the ATI forces inside it. In fact, when Egbert had already promised atomBIOS support somewhere for the rv7xx bringup, he found that if he sprinkled some device type ids around, the new hardware just came up beautifully with real code. This one seriously pissed off Mr Bridgman.

(full disclosure: i was always very much in favour of using atombios for ASICInit() as that beat the full int10 bringup by several orders of magnitude, and it would be easy for me or others to go and replace ASICInit with 400 or so lines of real code in the future, a future that ATI definitely did not want to see happen).

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
                  Not quite...

I sort of expected your response but no, I wasn't really taking sides on the initial years of development. My main comment was about involvement only after GCN 1.0 which to be fair may have been a flamebait.

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
                    GCN1.0 was 2012.

AMD doesn't have many resources to spend on this. And I'd rather see new GPUs supported well, rather than old ones.
                    Originally posted by xiando View Post
                    I have a Radeon 7850 (which I'm not using) from 2012 and that's GCN so it's been around for at least 6 years, perhaps 7 because I'm fairly sure there were some other GCN card(s) before it.
                    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    In terms of support age I was referring to the last GCN 1.0 product release, which seems to be around 4 years ago in 2014? I recently purchased a R7 250 on a budget for replacing a dead nvidia 560ti for display purposes only. Since the product only came out about 4 years ago, doesn't seem like it'd qualify as old to me. According to wiki though, GCN 1.0 is too old to get feature parity in some areas, eg only Vulkan 1.0 not 1.1.

Originally posted by MagicMyth View Post
                    I think polarathene is referring to AMD continuing to release "new" cards based on GCN 1.0 for several years.
                    Correct.

Comment

I recently purchased a R7 250
                      what vulkan-only game you are missing?

Comment

Working...
                      X