X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YamashitaRen
    replied
    Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
    Does that mean all that's missing now is the video acceleration stuff for SI? Someone outwith AMD was working on it, but I think they got stuck
    It is missing this too : https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=106363

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    HAWAII doesn't support VGA anyway. I don't know why DC is not already enabled for that chip.
    DC is enabled by default for hawaii.

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    Or some amdgpu.dc=auto which automatically decides whether to use DC or not, depending on whether VGA outputs exist.
    This is already the default behavior. DC is only enabled by default on asics that are fully supported. You can set dc=0 or dc=1 to override the default behavior (-1).

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    Originally posted by humbug View Post
    i have a hawai r9 290, very capable card not that much slower than an rx 570. But i too have to manually enable amdgpu.
    Originally posted by spstarr View Post
    For VGA connectors SI and CI can't use DC, so can't enable amdgpu.dc=1 still
    HAWAII doesn't support VGA anyway. I don't know why DC is not already enabled for that chip.

Or some amdgpu.dc=auto which automatically decides whether to use DC or not, depending on whether VGA outputs exist.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    That's because those cards are hardware incompatible with FP64. So, I'm not sure what else you can be asking for.
    The proprietary fglrx driver had implemented FP64 emulation, plus there was some work done for mesa in the past.

Leave a comment:

• libv
    replied
    Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
    Seriously you appear with your RadeonHD checklist in almost every topic I can remember. What the point?

Like if kernel maintainers choose RadeonHD way instead of what AMD managenent was pushing for grass would be greener now. It's made sense to argue about it like 5 years ago since from your standpoint time were wasted for creating inferior driver, but today when we actually have functioning and almost fully featured one. Yeah it's could be more open, but AMD didn't wanted it for whatever reason so it's wouldn't work.

Everyone who used Linux learned hard way that community even with RH backing can't make GPU drivers without a lot of effort from vendor. Otherwise there will be more effort towards Nouveau and there is very little regardless of marketshare.
    There are some mammoth skeletons in the closets of Dave Airlie and John Bridgman and a few others. People should not glorify them, especially not for things they did not do or never did positively influence.

Leave a comment:

• fedux
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    the real issue is someone has to write it first and they are busy
    This is what I was referring to, and it seems they were going to do it:

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
    Seriously you appear with your RadeonHD checklist in almost every topic I can remember. What the point?

Like if kernel maintainers choose RadeonHD way instead of what AMD managenent was pushing for grass would be greener now. It's made sense to argue about it like 5 years ago since from your standpoint time were wasted for creating inferior driver, but today when we actually have functioning and almost fully featured one. Yeah it's could be more open, but AMD didn't wanted it for whatever reason so it's wouldn't work.

Everyone who used Linux learned hard way that community even with RH backing can't make GPU drivers without a lot of effort from vendor. Otherwise there will be more effort towards Nouveau and there is very little regardless of marketshare.
    I'm assuming he's just annoyed when someone doesn't portrait bridgman and airlied as antiheroes. What he's talking about is happenings around eight years ago. There's a lot of newer happenings since then that he disregards. Heck, back at that time OpenGL 3.3 support seemed like a pipe dream and open drivers were playing hopeless catchup game against proprietary drivers

Edit: engineers and managers aren't antiheroes but they aren't heroes either. Everyone occasionally makes bad judgement calls
    Last edited by nanonyme; 09 October 2018, 03:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SXX⁣
    replied
    Originally posted by libv View Post
    Dave was one of the guys who sided with ATI to counter the real open source driver written by SuSE for AMD (ATIs new owner which was working hard to try to get ATI under control and to clean up the big mess that was there) and Dave only started development close to 5 months after the development of the real driver had started, and 2 months after the real driver was made public. Dave did more to keep the fglrx ways going than he helped progress either technically or with respect to open source affinity.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by fedux View Post
    Last thing I know it was pending new firmware release from AMD.
    the real issue is someone has to write it first and they are busy

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post
    I recently purchased a R7 250
    what vulkan-only game you are missing?

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by coder111 View Post
    GCN1.0 was 2012.

AMD doesn't have many resources to spend on this. And I'd rather see new GPUs supported well, rather than old ones.
    Originally posted by xiando View Post
    I have a Radeon 7850 (which I'm not using) from 2012 and that's GCN so it's been around for at least 6 years, perhaps 7 because I'm fairly sure there were some other GCN card(s) before it.
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    The HD 7000 series was released in 2012. Not sure how that equates to 4 years.
    In terms of support age I was referring to the last GCN 1.0 product release, which seems to be around 4 years ago in 2014? I recently purchased a R7 250 on a budget for replacing a dead nvidia 560ti for display purposes only. Since the product only came out about 4 years ago, doesn't seem like it'd qualify as old to me. According to wiki though, GCN 1.0 is too old to get feature parity in some areas, eg only Vulkan 1.0 not 1.1.

Originally posted by MagicMyth View Post
    I think polarathene is referring to AMD continuing to release "new" cards based on GCN 1.0 for several years.
    Correct.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X