Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Fast Color Clears Should Now Be Even Faster

Phoronix: RadeonSI Fast Color Clears Should Now Be Even Faster

Prolific Radeon Mesa contributor Marek Olšák of AMD started off his Sunday by posting another set of RadeonSI driver patches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks Marek and AMD.

It's nice having really good graphics drivers and not dealing with blobs and dependencies and the breakage hell that can cause. Ever since y'all open sourced the drivers, Linux has been so nice and easy to maintain and play games on regardless of distribution or setup.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Thanks Marek and AMD.

It's nice having really good graphics drivers and not dealing with blobs and dependencies and the breakage hell that can cause. Ever since y'all open sourced the drivers, Linux has been so nice and easy to maintain and play games on regardless of distribution or setup.
      I'm confused since this sounds very sarcastic and Marek's contributions are definitely a good thing

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        I'm confused since this sounds very sarcastic and Marek's contributions are definitely a good thing
        Pretty sure it's not sarcasm -- just hard for some people to believe. I echo their comment.

Comment

Michael

The illustration for article has very bad quality, like only 256 colors or so.

Comment

Originally posted by yurikoles View Post
            Michael

The illustration for article has very bad quality, like only 256 colors or so.
            While it's not to my taste, that kind of thing is hard enough to do by accident these days that it's almost certainly intended to be artistic.

(And thanks. Most of the time, I'm the literal-minded one who misses the point, and it's nice to occasionally experience being on the other side.)

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

Pretty sure it's not sarcasm -- just hard for some people to believe. I echo their comment.
              Packaging things that are supposed to work with multiple distros is still a nightmare. That is the exact reason why Flatpak and its nature exist

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

Yes, I also don't think there is any sarcasm included in that comment. And I fully agree with the original post.
                Since the AMD open-source drivers started improving, my Linux experience has been *a lot* better.
                I have been a user of both the Nvidia as well as AMD binary drivers in the past, and the open-source AMD driver has by far the best user experience.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

I don't think it's sarcasm. I think skeevy420 might just be remembering the days when everyone needed to use the old FGLRX driver.

Comment

I remember novideo days vividly.
                    Having to use auditory response in form of 'aplay /true.wav' or 'aplay /false.wav' for command results until you either install networking/ssh or install kernel x.y.z.a.b.g.without_virtualbox_support.without_sup port_for_my_wifi.rc28/xorg/nvidia blindly.
                    I also hate SONY for this. but I hate nvidia more and Linus couldn't express my feeling any better than he did with the finger.

Comment

Working...
                    X