Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some AMD GPUs Affected By A Nasty Power Regression That Snuck Into Linux 4.18 Stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem is fixed in 4.18.13m everything back to normal:

amdgpu-pci-6500
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    vddgfx: +0.77 V
    fan1: 968 RPM
    temp1: +29.0°C (crit = +94.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
    power1: 6.11 W (cap = 48.00 W)

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up about it being fixed in 4.18.13!

Comment

Switched to 4.18.14 and everything works as intended. Thanks!

Comment

I might be a bit late to the party but I took a look at power consumption of my RX570 on account of this regression. I noticed it drawing about 40 watts on pretty much idle. 4.8.13 just landed in Fedora so I checked the power draw again, a bit surprised that it stayed at 40 watts. I can see the sclk ramped up to 1169 MHz or higher most of the time while mclk tends to stay at 300 MHz. Is this to be expected with a 60 Hz 4K screen attached?

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
            I might be a bit late to the party but I took a look at power consumption of my RX570 on account of this regression. I noticed it drawing about 40 watts on pretty much idle. 4.8.13 just landed in Fedora so I checked the power draw again, a bit surprised that it stayed at 40 watts. I can see the sclk ramped up to 1169 MHz or higher most of the time while mclk tends to stay at 300 MHz. Is this to be expected with a 60 Hz 4K screen attached?
            It is to be expected in the sense that others (me included) noticed the same and upon reporting this as a bug were told that AMD developers considered this necessary - but without providing a compelling reason why.

You can try:
            cd /sys/class/drm/card0/device
            echo manual >power_dpm_force_performance_level
            echo 0 >pp_dpm_mclk
            echo 0 >pp_dpm_sclk
            and see if that works for you - it does for me, lowers my idle power consumption to 6W, while still providing flawless 4k 60Hz display.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
              It is to be expected in the sense that others (me included) noticed the same and upon reporting this as a bug were told that AMD developers considered this necessary - but without providing a compelling reason why.

You can try:
              cd /sys/class/drm/card0/device
              echo manual >power_dpm_force_performance_level
              echo 0 >pp_dpm_mclk
              echo 0 >pp_dpm_sclk
              and see if that works for you - it does for me, lowers my idle power consumption to 6W, while still providing flawless 4k 60Hz display.
              Well, that's the thing. I have been noticing occasional flickering of the display when I am doing some office work. it may happen twice an hour of once a day. I have never seen it during gaming when the card is running at full throttle. it is definitely not a screen or cable issue because this flickering doesn't happen when I hook the display up to Intel HD530. I guess I'll see if kernel 4.19 brings any improvements.

Comment

I'm not sure "everything is working as intended" as there still appear to be two outstanding issues (on 4.19). The first being increased power when idle (not as high as some users are reporting in this thread, but still over 5x more than I'd expect) and the second issue, probably tied to the first in that the fans never turn off which they are supposed to on this model of card (not sure if it's a 580 thing in general, but the Sapphire 580 SE definitely has this feature).

Linux arcade 4.19.1-arch1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Nov 4 16:49:26 UTC 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux

amdgpu-pci-0100
                vddgfx: +0.72 V
                fan1: 814 RPM
                temp1: +19.0°C (crit = +91.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
                power1: 34.03 W (cap = 183.00 W)

I'd expect around 5w power usage when idle, yet even without a display connected it's still running at nearly 35w.

Comment

Yeah, the room was around 16'c. The problem is it's using around 30w more power than it should be. For a machine that's on almost 24/7, that adds up and it also means that the fans never turn off (which they should).

Comment

I dislike 22'c, it's too hot, I'm far happier with 16-18 but that's irrelevant, please stop derailing the thread with attempts at silly comments.

Anyway, that 580 has just been swapped out for a Vega 56 and I'm now seeing a very low 4w idle power usage:

amdgpu-pci-0300
                    vddgfx: +0.75 V
                    fan1: 1300 RPM
                    temp1: +22.0°C (crit = +91.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
                    power1: 4.00 W (cap = 180.00 W)

So it looks like it's not a universal issue, maybe only the 500 series affected.

Comment

Working...
                    X