Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some AMD GPUs Affected By A Nasty Power Regression That Snuck Into Linux 4.18 Stable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm using Arch Linux with all the latest updates.

Is this why within the last week or so with my AMD RX 580 I've lost the 144Hz option for my monitor with 120Hz being the max option available on my DisplayPort connection? Doesn't matter if I use GNOME or KDE Plasma, the 144Hz option disappeared. And it did work a couple weeks ago.

Now, if I boot my USB drive with a live distro image from a month ago (Manjaro and Antergos being used for testing purposes for the live environment), the 144Hz option is available. Then if I boot my USB drive with a live distro image released within a week (again, Manjaro 18.0 RC1 and Antergos 18.10 used for testing purposes for the live environment), the 144Hz option is gone with only 120Hz being the max.

Is it a known bug or is it part of this bug?
    Last edited by Awesome Donkey; 10-10-2018, 01:44 PM.

Comment

The problem is fixed in 4.18.13m everything back to normal:

amdgpu-pci-6500
      Adapter: PCI adapter
      vddgfx: +0.77 V
      fan1: 968 RPM
      temp1: +29.0°C (crit = +94.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
      power1: 6.11 W (cap = 48.00 W)

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up about it being fixed in 4.18.13!

Comment

Switched to 4.18.14 and everything works as intended. Thanks!

Comment

I might be a bit late to the party but I took a look at power consumption of my RX570 on account of this regression. I noticed it drawing about 40 watts on pretty much idle. 4.8.13 just landed in Fedora so I checked the power draw again, a bit surprised that it stayed at 40 watts. I can see the sclk ramped up to 1169 MHz or higher most of the time while mclk tends to stay at 300 MHz. Is this to be expected with a 60 Hz 4K screen attached?

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
              I might be a bit late to the party but I took a look at power consumption of my RX570 on account of this regression. I noticed it drawing about 40 watts on pretty much idle. 4.8.13 just landed in Fedora so I checked the power draw again, a bit surprised that it stayed at 40 watts. I can see the sclk ramped up to 1169 MHz or higher most of the time while mclk tends to stay at 300 MHz. Is this to be expected with a 60 Hz 4K screen attached?
              It is to be expected in the sense that others (me included) noticed the same and upon reporting this as a bug were told that AMD developers considered this necessary - but without providing a compelling reason why.

You can try:
              cd /sys/class/drm/card0/device
              echo manual >power_dpm_force_performance_level
              echo 0 >pp_dpm_mclk
              echo 0 >pp_dpm_sclk
              and see if that works for you - it does for me, lowers my idle power consumption to 6W, while still providing flawless 4k 60Hz display.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                It is to be expected in the sense that others (me included) noticed the same and upon reporting this as a bug were told that AMD developers considered this necessary - but without providing a compelling reason why.

You can try:
                cd /sys/class/drm/card0/device
                echo manual >power_dpm_force_performance_level
                echo 0 >pp_dpm_mclk
                echo 0 >pp_dpm_sclk
                and see if that works for you - it does for me, lowers my idle power consumption to 6W, while still providing flawless 4k 60Hz display.
                Well, that's the thing. I have been noticing occasional flickering of the display when I am doing some office work. it may happen twice an hour of once a day. I have never seen it during gaming when the card is running at full throttle. it is definitely not a screen or cable issue because this flickering doesn't happen when I hook the display up to Intel HD530. I guess I'll see if kernel 4.19 brings any improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
                  As you see it is lottery if the mainline kernel and mesa works. Use the AMD drm-next-4.21-wip kernel and Mesa git. If display blanking is important, there is bug for dce110, X freezes when waking up. The bug is reported already. When you use the latest available code, you get bug fixes fast and help to improve the software quality by reporting new bugs.

Comment

Working...
                  X