Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out AMDGPU DRM-Next Ahead Of Linux 4.20~5.0

Phoronix: Trying Out AMDGPU DRM-Next Ahead Of Linux 4.20~5.0

With the two main set of AMDGPU DRM driver updates merged (one and two) to DRM-Next ahead of the next Linux kernel cycle, I decided to run some benchmarks on this code using Vega and Polaris hardware for seeing how the performance compares to that of the Linux 4.18 stable and Linux 4.19 Git kernels.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess when you say "hang", you do mean that but I've found that every time I rebuild Mesa, Rise of the Tomb Raider crashes on the first and sometimes second attempt when loading a save. I think it times out on regenerating the shader cache but then carries on from where it left off on the next attempt.

Comment

Is this the version with the Ryzen-specific optimizations? If so, I'd be curious to see benchmarks of that - I don't recall there being any benchmarks of that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Is this the version with the Ryzen-specific optimizations? If so, I'd be curious to see benchmarks of that - I don't recall there being any benchmarks of that yet.
        The Ryzen optimizations were in Mesa, haven't seen any AMDGPU DRM ones AFAIK.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Please, can we stop this Linux "5.0" innuendo game and leave it up to Linus/Greg to announce it if and when they see fit???
          It has been going on for far too long now, at a lot of articles here on Phoronix are going to be mis-labelled when they decide to postpone "5.0" to 4.21 and then 4.22...
          Everybody understands "4.20".

PS. Sorry for ranting, but there has been talk about 5.0 since 4.17....
          Last edited by Veto; 02 October 2018, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
            Everybody understands "4.20".
            I propose "Linux 4.20 Stoned Sandpiper"

Comment

Do you know if patches mentioned here:
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

are applied in drm-next?

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
                Do you know if patches mentioned here:

are applied in drm-next?
                They are yes

Comment

FireBurn
                  Thanks for info!

Comment

Interesting. In the A Total War Saga: THRONES OF BRITANNIA, for both cards, max. Frame time seems to go down (the outlier moves to the left), but min. FPS goes down as well, while I would expect it to go up to reflect this. Do you have any explanation? It also seems that Max FPS is quite a bit lower with the newest stack (while still scoring higher, but maybe more perf could be squeezed out if this "regression" was addressed?).

Thanks for the benchmark!

Comment

Working...
                    X