Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Driver To Allow Radeon GPU Fan Speed Controls Via Sysfs

Phoronix: AMDGPU Driver To Allow Radeon GPU Fan Speed Controls Via Sysfs

A set of five patches were sent out on Sunday by AMD's Rex Zhu that enable RPM fan settings to be viewed and manually toggled via the sysfs interface...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know what this changes, because this has already been possible by manipulating the sysfs files. I used it to disable the fans at low temperatures.

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
      I don't know what this changes, because this has already been possible by manipulating the sysfs files. I used it to disable the fans at low temperatures.
      Was it using the PWM interface rather than RPMs?

Added clarification to article as well, "This is on a fan RPM basis while previously some AMD graphics cards could be controlled on a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) toggle."
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Was it using the PWM interface rather than RPMs?

Added clarification to article as well, "This is on a fan RPM basis while previously some AMD graphics cards could be controlled on a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) toggle."
        Yeah, oh so now I know the difference this brings!

Comment

Only amdgpu? Not old radeon?

Comment

My RX570 is idling at 1500 RPM, while on Windows it turns off. This will be of some use to me.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              My RX570 is idling at 1500 RPM, while on Windows it turns off. This will be of some use to me.
              You can already use PWM controls, simply multiply your percentage value by 2.55.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                You can already use PWM controls, simply multiply your percentage value by 2.55.
                Doesn't sound like the patch is that complex then.. Would be nice if there was some DVFS style framework where you could control gpu speed, voltage, temp, fan power with a governor.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Doesn't sound like the patch is that complex then.. Would be nice if there was some DVFS style framework where you could control gpu speed, voltage, temp, fan power with a governor.
                  A governor would be nice...in a Graphical Environment Amd Control Center..

Infact it already exists for CLI, if you look into the Documentation
                  https://dri.freedesktop.org/docs/drm...and-monitoring

In This Regards, AMD has more Options than Nvidia, because offers you 5 Choices( Nvidia Only Offers you 2 choices)

# NUM MODE_NAME SCLK_UP_HYST SCLK_DOWN_HYST SCLK_ACTIVE_LEVEL MCLK_UP_HYST MCLK_DOWN_HYST MCLK_ACTIVE_LEVEL
                  # 0 3D_FULL_SCREEN: 0 100 30 0 100 10
                  # 1 POWER_SAVING *: 10 0 30 0 100 10
                  # 2 VIDEO: - - - 10 16 31
                  # 3 VR: 0 11 50 0 100 10
                  # 4 COMPUTE: 0 5 30 - - -

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    Can you even hear it at 1500 rpm? Seems like probably not, or very minimal.

Comment

Working...
                    X