AMD Arcturus Might Be The Codename Succeeding Navi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
    I live in Europe, so we get sucked for every euro cent we have...
    No way we can get the card at that price here...
    Only when US citizens stop buying those cards, the leftovers will drop the price in Europe...
    i also live in europe, though not in eu. i bought 8gb 580 for about $230 several weeks ago. but it was some "miner edition" without box

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

That was then. I have run Debian testing/sid for 4 years without any serious break. Using synaptic to update whole system is more practical than using pacman or apt, we are using graphical desktops now.Arch Linux do not have optimised AMD kernel. You need to compile it anyway, when you want to remove unused drivers and have a non debug 1000Hz timer kernel. Ubuntu is made from debian testing and sid, so compatibility exists. You can use Oibaf ppa with Debian testing/sid safely. Just choose the corresponding ubuntu version.
      I update my desktop, AUR and all, with a GUI; pamac-gtk3. That said, from time to time I create my own AMD staging kernels/pkgbuilds with Greysky's GCC patches and other random stuff...but you can compile the AMD kernel from within the GUI with its defaults (or the defaults the package maintainer chose...not sure which honestly), just search the AUR from within Pamac and pick it. I was about to click post, saw pamac-tray showing some updates, & one happens to be the AMD kernel. You're right, we are using graphical desktops now.

I'll admit that I've been using either Arch or Antergos for at least 8 years now with both XFCE and KDE. My experiences with Ubuntu/Debian blending 9 or 10 years ago probably isn't the same as it once was much like Arch problems people may have experienced in the past aren't the same as they once were.

Does any distribution actually provide the AMD kernel in its repos?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        i also live in europe, though not in eu. i bought 8gb 580 for about $230 several weeks ago. but it was some "miner edition" without box
        Don't 'mining edition' cards have no display ports?... Unless you want to mine with those, they are useless...
        Or did you buy a used card?

I'm not looking for a used card, unless i know the person and i know they didn't use it for mining... which i don't know anyone...

Comment

Don't 'mining edition' cards have no display ports?... Unless you want to mine with those, they are useless...
          Some of them have just one connector.

Comment

Or did you buy a used card?
            it was new and it has standard ports, i'm using dp right now. the only difference is packaging like hdd in packet

Comment

Working...
            X