X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Which post?
    This one...

Phoronix: AMDGPU Driver Gets Patches Enabling Two More Interrupt Rings On Vega 10 While AMD's open-source Linux driver developers have been busy on bringing up Vega 20 support as well as Picasso APUs, they aren't done yet optimizing their Vega 10 support... http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-More-IH

... but when I saw that the article had already been picked up on reddit I closed off the discussion there and restored my post here.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
      Michael has to thank you for the additional traffic :-)
      Yeah, at least reddit policy has gone back to allowing linking to Phoronix rather than requiring posters to copy the source info from Phoronix but not mention them.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        We are picking randomly within a category (bright stars) so that the name doesn't convey too much information about the product.

Before Polaris/Vega the internal code names were unrelated to the eventual marketing names - we're trying to get back to that for open source driver code to make pre-launch upstreaming easier.
        I guess certain special names could be used for special situations.

What about a "killer" generation?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I guess certain special names could be used for special situations.

What about a "killer" generation?
          This one is 大角星 and killer will be 天狼星

About next products guys from shanghai chiphell.com forums seems rumoring the best, but for that knowledge of chinese is needed or at least some translator

Comment

If it inspires reading of "Voyage to Arcturus" I'm all for it. ;-)

Comment

What interests me most if Navi will have an high end enthusiast card.
              The rumors on the internets is that it will be more in the mainstream market, smaller die. Of course that's where most consumers buy from, but AMD need a halo card to say, Hey we're still here and kicking ass.
              But so far no info from AMD about the new generation of graphics cards. I remember that we've got official info and demo of Polaris and Vega with at least 6 months before release during Raja's reign. But now, zip, nada.
              It makes me think that AMD is keeping its cards close to its chest, or NAVI is at least 8months - 1 year away.

I'm hoping the first, but expecting the last. Of course there are people here who know...

Comment

valici : Apparently Sony is highly involved with Navi, so it might be that they are behind keeping everything behind wraps for as long as possible.

Comment

Seems like something found by or posted on Phoronix is in the (tech) news practically every couple of weeks... However working in the open as you have to do in open source it's kind of inevitable that the more resources you put into enabling upcoming hardware under open source systems, the more it's going to tell people about your upcoming hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                    valici : Apparently Sony is highly involved with Navi, so it might be that they are behind keeping everything behind wraps for as long as possible.
                    I really don't like the idea. I mean AMD works with both Microsoft and Sony and as with PS4 and Xbox (GCN1 for first generation and Polaris for Pro and X), AMD will supply both with the same graphics solution. So why would Sony would help and pay to develop chips also used by Microsoft....

I think it's designed fully by AMD, but I think they are not so willing to invest tens of million of dollar in a chip not many will buy.

Comment

The next earnings release for Q3/2018 is scheduled for October 18th. I guess this might be one date to watch for some news snippets about future products. Especially if they want to target the Christmas season there is not much time left. And as the market is flooded now with special offers of Pascal cards, it is really tempting even for me... if I knew Navi or Vega Refresh were close, I would wait a bit longer. But there is currently a big hole in AMD's offerings between 250 and 400 EUR where these GTX 1070's offer great value.

Comment

Working...
                      X