AMD Adds A Seemingly New Polaris ID To Their Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Anyone who thinks releasing a card with better performance than the 1080Ti is going to grab market share knows nothing about the market.
    QFT. I was about to comment on this. Nvidia trolls and fanbois keep parroting the "AMD has no answer to 1080ti" line while they typically only own 1030s at best. Of course there is some truth in that quote in the form of having the halo product increases brand perception and thus increases sales of lower end products. But high end gpus are so expensive that only a tiny fraction of the market buys them.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      Long time ago, around 2011 or 2012, they promised to make better use of all the ressources inside a computer, and I am still waiting for that to happen.
      That was surely about HSA. I think it never quite caught on like they were hoping.

That said, more apps are certainly using GPUs than back then. These days, web browsers, image editing programs, spreadsheets, and probably most programs that do a serious amount of numerical computation (and don't need much precision) employ GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
        AMD was first with Mantle, was first with x86_64, and would be cool if they would be first with some MCM GPU
        Don't forget HBM. Fury had it long before Nvidia launched the P100. And Nvidia has never offered it in a consumer card, while AMD has given us two generations of it.

Comment

dGPU Vega is dead. Barely available and expensive. Some shops have Vega 64 above RTX 2080 price.
          Just FYI, the cheapest available Vega 64 in Germany is half the price of the cheapest available GTX 2080. (449 € vs 839€).

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
            Just FYI, the cheapest available Vega 64 in Germany is half the price of the cheapest available GTX 2080. (449 € vs 839€).
            Best prices yes - but you have to be looking for them. One of biggest Polish shops barely has any Vega and that what is listed - is listed at ridiculous price.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              Don't forget HBM. Fury had it long before Nvidia launched the P100. And Nvidia has never offered it in a consumer card, while AMD has given us two generations of it.
              HBM didn't got mass adoption as of yet. Seems to expensive and doesn't seems to give noticeable practical benefits vs GDDR5X and GDDR6.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                That was surely about HSA. I think it never quite caught on like they were hoping.

That said, more apps are certainly using GPUs than back then. These days, web browsers, image editing programs, spreadsheets, and probably most programs that do a serious amount of numerical computation (and don't need much precision) employ GPUs.
                Yes, I was thinking about HSA, and I thought of APU +dGPU acceleration in common programs (using a single source file and automatically distributing parts of an application to the best processor to do the actual computing). If I am not mistaken AMD is still on the path that general purpose GPU computing is the better way forward than wider vector units for many workloads. But I guess the ecosystem in both hardware and software is not quite there yet. I hope there will be a new push for it when Gen-Z and related technologies are more widespread. There was also a blog post of the HSA consortium which mentioned advancements of their Chinese chapter which were supposed to be incorporated into a future revision, see: http://www.hsafoundation.com/resolvi...ous-computing/ But I would very much like to hear about AMD's plans to incorporate these advancements in future desktop and HPC computing.

Comment

HBM didn't got mass adoption as of yet. Seems to expensive and doesn't seems to give noticeable practical benefits vs GDDR5X and GDDR6.
                  We were just listing their "firsts".

Anyway, it does have worthwhile benefits - just not at consumer price points and workloads.

Comment

dGPU Vega is dead. Barely available and expensive. Some shops have Vega 64 above RTX 2080 price.
                    Locally AMDs just dead in all dGPU segments, not just VEGA. They have nothing worth buying, zip, they ain't there competing. What would you rather buy if binary blob or not doesn't matter and you just look at performance numbers, a Vega 56 or a 1080ti? A RX580 or a Nvidia 1070?

Looks to me like AMD is currently having supply issues (even though the mining boom is essentially over) while NVidia has a significant oversupply of Pascal cards. AMDs basically one level up in price in every price-bracket (RX580 should compete against the 1060, not 1070, and so on).

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
                      Locally AMDs just dead in all dGPU segments, not just VEGA. They have nothing worth buying, zip, they ain't there competing. What would you rather buy if binary blob or not doesn't matter and you just look at performance numbers, a Vega 56 or a 1080ti? A RX580 or a Nvidia 1070?
                      I have R9 Fury and a Freesync display. Kind of no options right now. Vega 64 isn't much better, especially for the upgrade price, while use 1080Tis are way better at price/performance minus freesync. Hope that rumored Polaris will turn out to be much bigger than RX580 and becomes RX 690

Still used Radeon Pro Duo show up from time to time at much lower prices than originaly they were worth - kind of interesting, even though it's crossfire. (and winter is comming).

Comment

Working...
                      X