Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Picasso Support Comes To The RadeonSI OpenGL Driver

Phoronix: AMD Picasso Support Comes To The RadeonSI OpenGL Driver

Last week AMD sent out initial support for yet-to-be-released "Picasso" APUs with the Linux AMDGPU kernel graphics driver. Today on the user-space side the support was merged for the OpenGL RadeonSI Gallium3D driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone have any clue what the differences between Picasso and Raven2 are?

The roadmap shows that Picasso is supposed to be the successor, so why would we get a Raven 2?

Comment

Pretty cool to get Linux support pre release.
      side note, AMD considered getting in on public clouds?
      I only ever see NVIDIA support.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
        Does anyone have any clue what the differences between Picasso and Raven2 are?

The roadmap shows that Picasso is supposed to be the successor, so why would we get a Raven 2?
        So with a little bit of investigation - my guess would be Picasso is the graphics on the new mobile APUs (2600H/2700H) - bridgman care to confirm or deny for me?

Comment

No, the new mobile APUs are standard Raven Ridge.

Picasso is a mystery. It's meant to be the follow up APU to Raven Ridge, but there's Raven Ridge 2018 as well.

I can only assume that it's very similar architecturally to Raven Ridge, but differs in quantity of compute. Maybe it has more CPU cores or GPU cores, maybe it's meant to be the high end APU whilst RR18 stays for the low end.

Comment

So with a little bit of investigation - my guess would be Picasso is the graphics on the new mobile APUs (2600H/2700H) - bridgman care to confirm or deny for me?
            I don't think so. AFAIK, Picasso is the APU scheduled for a 2019 release. Therefore, I my guess is that it will be the part with Zen 2 cores. The newly announced high TDP mobile APUs might be Raven 2. On the other hand, they might simple be Raven Ridge as we know it...

Comment

Which of these will be 7 nm? Any news when gaming 7 nm will be released as dGPU and APU?

Comment

Let's hope we see this in some higher end notebooks. All the Raven Ridge laptops so far seem very low to mid end.

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
                  Which of these will be 7 nm? Any news when gaming 7 nm will be released as dGPU and APU?
                  there was ~10 months lag between Ryzen and Raven CPUs, with the Vega iGPU was ~4 months after Vega10 and desktop raven being even later to launch. Unless they are seriously switching it up then I would expect to see Server 7nm Vega, and Desktop 7nm Zen2 followed by GA of EPYC in Q4->Q1.

maybe* if you are lucky we will see some 7nm Vega love on the desktop, but unless it is competitive with the 2070 I think we will not see 7nm vega. The gaming numbers that have leaked so far show the 2080ti is twice the performance of Vega64 on windows.

A die shrink and a bunch of power work might get them to 2070 levels, but vega is expensive with its silicon interposer and they might just cede the high end desktop GPU until they have something better.

this is all speculation of course, but AMD need a "Zen" moment for their GPUs for sure

Comment

As the old saying goes... "I can neither confirm nor deny". Sorry.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X