AMD ROCm 1.9 Available With Vega 20 Support Plus Upstream Kernel Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just shaking my head at how they are approaching opencl for linux
    rather than upstreaming the support and making it available for everyone ...
    distro maintainers and/or random packagers are faced with the prospect of creating 13+ packages, most of which are forked versions of projects already installed on people's systems
    This is nasty. I understand that it's only been 8yrs or whatever since opencl became a thing ... maybe they need more time to upstream code to established projects and establish a framework for deploying such support. Perhaps the idea of a "platform" or "software ecosystem" specific to opencl has gone too far? As it stands right now it's almost like it needs it's own version of linux and it's own distro to be used and, if this is the case, what is open about it ?

Comment

For OpenCL you only need to install 3 package libhsakmt libhsa-runtime64 and then rocm-opencl. However opencl seems to be a bit outdated. I didn't get an update and I don't have image support (with the upstream kernel driver).

Code:
        Image support                                   No

Comment

bridgman Could you or AMD team write an installation guide for Arch Linux at https://rocm.github.io/install.html ?

Basically, there are two types of linux in the world, Arch(-based) linux and the other linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
          I'm just shaking my head at how they are approaching opencl for linux
          rather than upstreaming the support and making it available for everyone ...
          distro maintainers and/or random packagers are faced with the prospect of creating 13+ packages, most of which are forked versions of projects already installed on people's systems
          This is nasty. I understand that it's only been 8yrs or whatever since opencl became a thing ... maybe they need more time to upstream code to established projects and establish a framework for deploying such support. Perhaps the idea of a "platform" or "software ecosystem" specific to opencl has gone too far? As it stands right now it's almost like it needs it's own version of linux and it's own distro to be used and, if this is the case, what is open about it ?
          Who are "they" in this context - us ?

The kernel code is upstream even for ROCm now and AFAIK that takes care of all the "forked" packages - everything else is "install on top of an upstream kernel".
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            AFAIK that takes care of all the "forked" packages - everything else is "install on top of an upstream kernel".
            "forked versions of projects already installed on people's systems" might refer to things like Tensorflow, which still doesn't list support for AMD GPUs:

https://www.tensorflow.org/install/gpu

Here's the ROCm fork:

https://github.com/ROCmSoftwarePlatf...rflow-upstream

Unfortunately, that will only be sorted out on a project-by-project basis, and it's then up to distro maintainers whether to enable ROCm support in the default build or to have an alternative package for it (if any).

Comment

If the context was HIP support in frameworks I would agree, but Soul_keeper's comment was about OpenCL AFAIK and I don't think the temporary need for out-of-tree application forks to get API support applies there. In general OpenCL support is either upstream or isn't likely to happen... whereas HIP support is in flight for a lot of apps/frameworks.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Does Blender recognize the OpenCL stack from ROCm?

FWIW: I bailed on installing rocm-dev which pulls in all sorts of junk I do not need and trashes Debian LLVM-5 and LLVM-6 installs.

Not sure how you're getting dkms to install as it bails on me with the Debian Sid 4.18 kernel.
                I also tried the method described by perpetually high to install rocm 1.9, with the rocm-dev packaage, but I end up with a black screen after rebooting. Does anybody have an idea on how I can fix my machine to working with the new software or to roll back? Sorry for such a almost off-topic question, but I feel like it's so specific to this subject that it's almost justified.

I must be honest and say that I'm not too experienced with linux, my initial tries were to switch to different virtual terminals using ctrl+alt+NUM (which shows no change on the screen) and using radeon.modeset=0 on booting (also shows no change, apart from the output usually muted by the 'quiet' tag). But right now I'm not sure what I would do. Maybe important to note: I think it's not frozen, as I can still do the alt+PRT-SCR+{REISUB} combo.

Thanks in advance.

Btw, if any of you are wondering why, I'm trying to get MLplaid to work, so I can do ML tasks on my AMD GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by tobiasvd View Post

I also tried the method described by perpetually high to install rocm 1.9, with the rocm-dev packaage, but I end up with a black screen after rebooting. Does anybody have an idea on how I can fix my machine to working with the new software or to roll back? Sorry for such a almost off-topic question, but I feel like it's so specific to this subject that it's almost justified.

I must be honest and say that I'm not too experienced with linux, my initial tries were to switch to different virtual terminals using ctrl+alt+NUM (which shows no change on the screen) and using radeon.modeset=0 on booting (also shows no change, apart from the output usually muted by the 'quiet' tag). But right now I'm not sure what I would do. Maybe important to note: I think it's not frozen, as I can still do the alt+PRT-SCR+{REISUB} combo.

Thanks in advance.

Btw, if any of you are wondering why, I'm trying to get MLplaid to work, so I can do ML tasks on my AMD GPU.
                  Sorry for this post, I found the error after some debugging It was not ROCm, but the switch to AMDGPU that caused the bug. If anyone runs into the same issue and stumbles upon this post: remember to set kernel settings: amdgpu.si_support=1 radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.dc=0. That last parameter applies because I have a GCN 1.0 card, not 1.1.

Enjoy the further discussions!

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    he selected arch, so he or some other arch user should
                    Cross posted here. If someone's willing to help/babysit me through the process, I'd give it a go. I figured I'd start with linux-amd-git, and then go down the list of packages here, skipping the ROCK-Kernel-Driver, under the assumption it is covered by the linux-amd-git kernel?

Comment

Working...
                    X