Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumbotron
    replied
    Perhaps as Bristol Ridge was to Carrizo, Picasso is to Raven Ridge.

Leave a comment:

• GunpowaderGuy
    replied
    TemplarGR bandwith usage doesn't scale linearly with power because of cache memory

Leave a comment:

• Brophen
    replied
    Am I the only one who wishes there was a HEDT APU? When I think of an APU I don't just assume "poor man's desktop", I think HSA and "the closer the GPU and CPU are, the better". FrameRipper , anyone?

Leave a comment:

• davidbepo
    replied
    Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
    I am not sure, but doesn't that mean a different wiring? hence.. a different socket, aka no more until year 2020 - AM4 compatible?
    Perhaps there could be improvements in the DCC/Caching that could be leveraged with the additional transistors/silicon footprint.
    quad channel will indeed require a new socket, but a hbm or edram cache could be done on the same socket , i7-5775C is a proof of this

Leave a comment:

• rene
    replied
    Awesome, great fan of the Mesa drivers. One thing I was missing last time I tried to switch my screen capturing to AMD was hardware accelerated video encoding, usually via libva. Last time I asked the developers they said something like "VA API does not match the AMD hardware so much", should try opnemax or so. Wondering did this change so that I can use ffmpeg hardware accelerated video encoding with the latest AMD GPUs? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_e16kOurJE

Leave a comment:

• xxmitsu
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    With 7nm and assuming at least a 1.5x increase in theoretical performance, the memory bandwidth needs will be even bigger. HBM3 perhaps? Quad channel ddr4? Something else?
    I am not sure, but doesn't that mean a different wiring? hence.. a different socket, aka no more until year 2020 - AM4 compatible?
    Perhaps there could be improvements in the DCC/Caching that could be leveraged with the additional transistors/silicon footprint.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    *crossing fingers

"Six core, six core, six core."

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    A boring APU. I suppose just a die shrink of Raven to 12nm. The really cool stuff will arrive a year later with 7nm... I wonder if by then AMD will have solved the memory bandwidth problem. Raven is already severely bandwidth limited. It is a shame to have a 1.8 teraflop igpu with dual ddr4 bandwidth, while it needs at least double that. With 7nm and assuming at least a 1.5x increase in theoretical performance, the memory bandwidth needs will be even bigger. HBM3 perhaps? Quad channel ddr4? Something else?

Leave a comment:

• xxmitsu
    replied
    And.. also Raven2: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...er/026639.html

Leave a comment:

• AMD Sends Out Initial Open-Source Linux Graphics Support For "Picasso" APUs

Phoronix: AMD Sends Out Initial Open-Source Linux Graphics Support For "Picasso" APUs

Adding to the exciting week for AMD open-source Linux graphics is that in addition to the long-awaited patch update for FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync/VRR, patches for the Linux kernel were sent out prepping the graphics upbringing for the unreleased "Picasso" APUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X