Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Finally Rolls Out New Linux Patches For Adaptive-Sync / VRR (FreeSync)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I said 8core, and whats with ray tracing? who cares? only nvidia, and only them.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      I said 8core, and whats with ray tracing? who cares? only nvidia, and only them.
      Not just RT, but with DDR5 also... 16c/32t and DDR5 of course on a new platform sounds like a boring standard APU five years from now. At that point we should thinking about 128-bit computing and 16K screens

Sorry, but that is how engineer or developer mindshare working, always 5 or 10 years away Hardware engineer must think this way, software developer for let say Gnome 5 must have 16K screens always in his mind and to design it for that
      Last edited by dungeon; 12 September 2018, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Better late than never, but it does seem like this was a somewhat low on AMD's list of priorities.

Then again I do understand why they chose to work on a whole bunch of other things before coming around to get this done. As much as we talk about playing games under Linux, the Linux games market is still suffering from the same Catch 22 (to get commercial software you need users, but to get users you need commercial software) that Linux on the desktop has been suffering from the start.

Comment

Unfortunately I will only take a interest in a AMD APU if they comes out with 8core 16thread version!
          The next one will be 6 cores / 12 threads, enough?
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            Linux will be the main gaming platform in the future, Valves Proton is one big proof of that. More games are playable with Linux, it will have the same effect what happened when Android had more and more applications. Only stupidos use a difficult to maintain, slow and resource hog virus hoover.
            As much as I'd like to be optimistic about this, I highly doubt that's going to happen in the anywhere near future...

Seriously thou, when has being able to run software for a competing platform from a different vendor ever allowed a platform to overtake the competing platform or even come close? The Atari 2600 adapter didn't help the ColecoVision come anywhere near the sales of the 2600, Sega was still forced to become a third party software developer despite the Bleem! PS1 emulator and Android support didn't prevent RIM from having to become another Android device vendor or make SailfishOS a roaring success.

Android became as successful as it became not because it could run software from other platforms, but because it was successful at becoming the industry standard when every vendor under the sun wanted to make their own spin on the iPhone, but only a few of them could get the necessary software ready within a reasonable timeframe. Android has since then become the OS whose applications you simply have to be able to run if you're a mobile device OS not called "iOS".

Don't get me wrong, supporting software from a major platform is a big deal for an obscure OS, android support drastically improves the usability of my SailfishOS phone, but all it really does is lessen the issues caused by the OS being so obscure. Linux and MacOS have had Wine for year and years, but they're both still tiny compared to Windows in the desktop market.

Also, Windows malware isn't anywhere near the kind of issue it was back in the Windows XP days and unnecessary resource hogging isn't really an issue either after Vista. The downright autistic "can run on anything up to a 286 with 16MB of RAM" super low resource Linux builds you're into really don't even come close to representing Linux as a whole. What people actually use on the desktop isn't that far off from Windows 7 and 10 in terms of resource use.
            Last edited by L_A_G; 12 September 2018, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide
              I'm waiting for the day Nouveau supports freesync.
              How about they support Pascal properly first? If your using Nouveau and your gaming, your doing it VERY wrong when it comes to NVIDIA cards!
              You got it wrong, it's not for gaming but for lulz because NVIDIA explicitly does not support FreeSync.

Comment

Currently, 12 million new Windows malware samples come "onto the market" each month.
                The report does not mention which version(s) of Windows is referenced. I don't like Windows, but I do like facts and the fact is that we are currently in 2018.

Back on topic: Freesync support is long overdue, although I can understand the technical reasons why DAL/DC is taking this long. I do hope that it has been tested properly and works when it's finally merged.

Comment

How about they support Pascal properly first? If your using Nouveau and your gaming, your doing it VERY wrong when it comes to NVIDIA cards!
                  Guess it's not about the actual use but the kick in Nvidia's ass. It's ridiculous that they don't support VESA Adaptive Sync and insist on their extra G-Sync fee.

Comment

Well Gsync does have larger headroom, and its technically better but not ideally practical because it adds cost to monitors and also has some limitations such as only 1 port use... Plus you can't plug in a console to a gsync monitor and take advantage of it either.

Comment

Currently, 12 million new Windows malware samples come "onto the market" each month.
                      That's not even bad considering how that shows Windows malware has gone down from 85% to 67% of samples in a single year while maintaining it's roughly 90% share of the desktop market. Let's not even go into how that doesn't specify vulnerable versions or mention how most desktop malware is run trough mutation engines to make memory-based detection less effective and as a side effect a single piece of malware can create 100s of "unique" samples. Let's also not go into how about 1/3 samples are trojans (i.e they require user assistance) and 1/2 are viruses, meaning that a lot of them are using vulnerabilities in already installed software rather than the OS itself.

Win10 uses 1GB ram after boot when Debian xfce 350MB. MS controls virus hoover users, you have to wait updates before you can shut down you computer. You install and remove software one by one. You wait virus scanner to finish. Blue and black screens do not help solve problems and a lot of time is used to solve virus hoover problems. Windowing system in win10 is slow. Waiting describes virus hoover use in one word.
                      First of all we don't live in 2004 anymore so 1GB is not an issue for desktop OS and secondly only a few people bother with the autisitc minimum debian+xfce builds you use and are instead fine with Linux distros like Ubuntu that use just as much RAM after bootup, if not more.

As for your windows ramblings, you really should stop and realize that you're trying to use a video with Windows XP as some kind of argument. That should show you how badly out of date all of your arguments really are because they're clearly not from this decade and we're less than a year and a half away from the end of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X