Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Finally Rolls Out New Linux Patches For Adaptive-Sync / VRR (FreeSync)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
    Separately, does anyone (hey bridgman) know how AMD goes about distributing these userspace bits? For example, say these patches get into mainline kernel, will the userspace changes be included in the "amdgpu-core" package of the latest AMD drivers?
    I don't know if the userspace patches are considered to be upstream-ready (ie sufficiently cross-vendor) or just intended for exercising the kernel patches.

Some distros package the amdgpu X driver while others just use modesetting. I think you would need the amdgpu X driver to get freesync, at least that was my impression from the commit description.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      I think you would need the amdgpu X driver to get freesync, at least that was my impression from the commit description.
      Yes, you'd need the amdgpu X driver until someone adds freesync support to the modesetting X driver. You'd need to add support for freesync the wayland compositors as well, so it's X only until that happens.

Comment

Now they need to open source the Radeon Settings control panel like they talked about a year or two ago. Would be awesome to use it to force AA and AF on games, especially older games through Wine, like Elder Scroll Oblivion (you can do this through a launch command, R600_something something)

Comment

Got a new FreeSync monitor just one month ago, I hoped it would be supported soon :-) I just use Wayland (with Plasma) since a long time. Hope the Wayland support for FreeSync will not be too far away.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I don't know if the userspace patches are considered to be upstream-ready (ie sufficiently cross-vendor) or just intended for exercising the kernel patches.

Some distros package the amdgpu X driver while others just use modesetting. I think you would need the amdgpu X driver to get freesync, at least that was my impression from the commit description.
            Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Yes, you'd need the amdgpu X driver until someone adds freesync support to the modesetting X driver. You'd need to add support for freesync the wayland compositors as well, so it's X only until that happens.
            That makes sense, thanks guys. I had FreeSync working with both 18.30 AMDGPU-PRO + Ubuntu distro kernel and 18.30 AMDGPU-PRO + agd5f's amdgpu-drm-staging-next branch, but wasn't sure which userspace packages made it work so that helps clear things up.

Also- before your posts I didn't realize the distinction between these two packages:

xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu
            xserver-xorg-amdgpu-video-amdgpu

APT says:

xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu/cosmic,now 18.0.1-1build1 amd64 [installed]
            X.Org X server -- AMDGPU display driver

xserver-xorg-amdgpu-video-amdgpu/unknown 1:1.4.0-606296 amd64
            X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI Radeon display driver

Which I think adds to the confusion because the first one is the X modeset driver that will have FreeSync support soon and the second one is AMD's own amdgpu driver which won't initially. The "AMDGPU" in caps for the X modest can throw you off but the version numbers give it away. Besides, I know better though that AMDGPU != amdgpu. =)

Comment

Originally posted by monte84 View Post
              Now they need to open source the Radeon Settings control panel like they talked about a year or two ago. Would be awesome to use it to force AA and AF on games, especially older games through Wine, like Elder Scroll Oblivion (you can do this through a launch command, R600_something something)
              Do you mean AMD talked? I don't think they did. It was discussed by community but I don't think anyone said it'd happen or that it was possible. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Maybe inline with their 7nm Vega card launch?, so their a more attractive offer under Linux I'd hope.

Comment

I'm waiting for the day Nouveau supports freesync.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                    I have this monitor which claims to support "Freesync" but does not have a Displayport connector at all, just HDMI. I'm using it with a Displayport to HDMI adapter though. https://www.amazon.com/Dell-SE2717HR...dp/B01LXTK4T6/
                    If Freesync is officially only through Displayport, how can monitors like these claiming to support Freesync be sold?
                    I guess the key there is second point of this year 2015. slide, maded at the time when they couldn't wait

When blobie can't wait year or two, they just do it via some off-road extension
                    Last edited by dungeon; 11 September 2018, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
                      I'm waiting for the day Nouveau supports freesync.
                      How about they support Pascal properly first? If your using Nouveau and your gaming, your doing it VERY wrong when it comes to NVIDIA cards!

Also you can run freesync on nvidia cards under windows with that AMD APU trick so maybe it works under Liunx also? Unfortunately I will only take a interest in a AMD APU if they comes out with 8core 16thread version!

Comment

Working...
                      X