Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Finally Rolls Out New Linux Patches For Adaptive-Sync / VRR (FreeSync)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Finally Rolls Out New Linux Patches For Adaptive-Sync / VRR (FreeSync)

Phoronix: AMD Finally Rolls Out New Linux Patches For Adaptive-Sync / VRR (FreeSync)

While the open-source AMD Radeon Linux graphics stack has gotten into particularly good shape the past two years or so, one of the areas that has left the red Linux gamers unsatisfied is the lack of FreeSync support (or DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync / HDMI Variable Refresh Rate) when using the fully open-source stack. It looks like that could be changing soon with the new set of patches under review...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is REALLY overdue, and i appreciate the author hinting at this in the article

Comment

FreeSync with even the latest 18.30 AMDGPU-PRO drivers was miserable, games were not playable. Can't wait to be able to use it with the Mesa drivers.

I've been very happy with the TearFree option in the Xorg conf for the time being, though

Comment

finally! now lets hope it lands without delays

Comment

Nice!

I hope this frees up resources to fix this bug which basically breaks Xorg compositors with amdgpu.dc:

Comment

AMD has patches plumbed but not yet mainlined for getting this support going with their hardware and under an X.Org Server session (no Wayland).
            This would be *so* nice for Wayland, since Wayland already is aware of frame synchronisation... I wonder when we'll have the full pipeline!

Comment

Will this work via HDMI too? As far as I know, Freesync on the closed-source stack can only work via DP.

Comment

Originally posted by Scias View Post
                Will this work via HDMI too? As far as I know, Freesync on the closed-source stack can only work via DP.
                Since FreeSync is an implementation of DisplayPort VRR, I'd say it's unlikely? I've seen people enabling it over DVI and HDMI though, but it seems to be an unofficial hack.

Comment

\o/

There are some monitors/TVs implementing VRR via HDMI (I think the current Xboxes are capable of that) and it's also included in HDMI 2.1. I think once the work is done for DP, it will be relatively easy to extend to HDMI.

Comment

Yeahhh! Finally!
                    Thanks AMD!

Can't wait to see it mainlined and be able to finally put my Freesync monitor to work

Comment

Working...
                    X