Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Initial AMD Radeon "Vega 20" Support For RADV Vulkan Driver

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Initial AMD Radeon "Vega 20" Support For RADV Vulkan Driver

    Phoronix: Initial AMD Radeon "Vega 20" Support For RADV Vulkan Driver

    The Vega 20 open-source driver enablement march continues with Bas Nieuwenhuizen, the RADV independent Radeon Vulkan driver co-founder, introducing an initial patch series this weekend adding support for the unreleased graphics processor...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ega-20-Support

  • #2
    My guess is that the release is heavyly dependent on TMSC now that globalfoundaries has withdrawn from 7nm chip market.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by vein View Post
      My guess is that the release is heavyly dependent on TMSC now that globalfoundaries has withdrawn from 7nm chip market.
      looks to me it may be sooner than later and that nvidia is left on 12nm.
      seems like etailers aint restocking rx570\580's at all anymore.
      amd might release 7nm vega with near or 2070 performance and below while nvidia takes performance crown on 12nm with their absolutely huuuuge die's :P

      Comment


      • #4
        Why does Bas already have access to the hardware and how? My hope is that he got an early sample from AMD because they want to release a gamer-part now. RADV is only used for games until now - is it?
        Or he has remote access or emulator access and AMD wants to introduce RADV in their PRO driver in the (distant?) future.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
          Why does Bas already have access to the hardware and how? My hope is that he got an early sample from AMD because they want to release a gamer-part now. RADV is only used for games until now - is it?
          Or he has remote access or emulator access and AMD wants to introduce RADV in their PRO driver in the (distant?) future.
          I doubt both, tbh. As it is said in the article, Vega 20 isn't treated any differently from Vega 10. If I understand correctly this simply enables the driver to recognize the IDs associated with Vega 20. The changes which actually enable functionality specific to Vega 20 are only in LLVM/AMDGPU/DRM so far. And those were contributed by AMD.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            Why does Bas already have access to the hardware and how? My hope is that he got an early sample from AMD because they want to release a gamer-part now. RADV is only used for games until now - is it?
            Or he has remote access or emulator access and AMD wants to introduce RADV in their PRO driver in the (distant?) future.
            Just read the commit message:
            https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...er/204186.html

            Comment


            • #7
              In the meantime we are still Strugling to install AMDGPU-PRO-18.30, due to a Bug..
              When compiling the kernel module:

              /var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/18.30-641594/build/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu_drv.c:768:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘vga_switcheroo_set_dynamic_switch’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
              vga_switcheroo_set_dynamic_switch(pdev, VGA_SWITCHEROO_OFF);

              This function doesn't exist in the Kernel sources..

              Rocm suffers also from same problem:
              https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm/issues/473

              Comment


              • #8
                Looks like that function was removed between the 4.16 and 4.17 kernels... are you sure you are using one of the supported distros / kernels ?

                AFAIK the highest kernel version in any of the supported distros is 4.15. Which distro/kernel are you installing on ?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Looks like that function was removed between the 4.16 and 4.17 kernels... are you sure you are using one of the supported distros / kernels ?
                  We Use Debian 9,
                  On Kernels til 4.16, the function exist, on 4.17 it doesn't exist.

                  Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  AFAIK the highest kernel version in any of the supported distros is 4.15. Which distro/kernel are you installing on ?
                  The problem is,
                  On Kernels bellow 4.17 there are another bug,
                  When Building amdgpu kernel driver, via dkms,
                  /var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/18.30-641594/build/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu_drv.c:163: ( fence->status == error )

                  Doesn't exist in kernels <= 4.16

                  We can build the module, going on header file and adding at the end of the 'Struct fence':
                  char * status, but I don't know the efect that it has, on the driver when it will be loaded and used?!
                  Is this safe?

                  Thanks in Advance,

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Another But, this time in Ubuntu, with Rocm:

                    [email protected]:~# lsb_release -a
                    No LSB modules are available.
                    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
                    Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
                    Release: 18.04
                    Codename: bionic
                    [email protected]:~# uname -a
                    Linux desktop 4.15.0-33-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 15 16:00:05 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                    [email protected]:~# /opt/rocm/bin/rocminfo
                    hsa api call failure at line 900, file: /home/jenkins/jenkins-root/workspace/compute-rocm-rel-1.8/rocminfo/rocminfo.cc. Call returned 4104

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X