AMD ROCm 1.8.3 Released To Fix Breakage With Latest Ubuntu 18.04 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD ROCm 1.8.3 Released To Fix Breakage With Latest Ubuntu 18.04 Kernel

Phoronix: AMD ROCm 1.8.3 Released To Fix Breakage With Latest Ubuntu 18.04 Kernel

While still waiting on the ROCm 1.9 release to happen, version 1.8.3 of the Radeon Open Compute stack was released for Linux systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this work now with the mainline 4.18 kernel without the DKMS stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
      Great question because I won't touch newer kernels without it. This target of integration keeps slipping.

Comment

Not strictly related to this news item, but still very related to AMD GPU computing. The circuit simulation field seems to have gone all-Cuda, and tied itself to nVidia. I've spent a little bit of time searching, and it appears that there may be some source-level bridging available, but I'm not sure it's accessible for someone who wants to "apt-get ngspice/cuspice" and start hammering away at circuits. There are several other circuit simulators moving into the GPU computing arena - all running Cuda. It might be a good idea for AMD (and Intel) to talk to some of these people about OpenCL.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
          I have not actually tried in a while but I'm pretty sure it's not working. The userspace components of ROCm 1.8 are not compatible with upstream AMDKFD. Hopefully this is going to be solved when 1.9 comes along.

Comment

Nothing on Globalfoundries killing off 7nm production? That's kinda important.

Comment

Originally posted by phred14 View Post
              There are several other circuit simulators moving into the GPU computing arena - all running Cuda. It might be a good idea for AMD (and Intel) to talk to some of these people about OpenCL.
              ... or about HIP (our portability tool and parallel C++ compiler):

Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                I have not actually tried in a while but I'm pretty sure it's not working. The userspace components of ROCm 1.8 are not compatible with upstream AMDKFD. Hopefully this is going to be solved when 1.9 comes along.
                Right... AFAIK 1.9 should be the first release with upstream-compatible userspace.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Right... AFAIK 1.9 should be the first release with upstream-compatible userspace.
                  But what about PCIe 2.x without atomics and new firmware for Fiji/Polaris family?

Apart, GOOD work!

Comment

Wow that page is horrible with that unhideable (afaics) sidebar that Firefox's reader mode thinks is the main content.

Comment

Working...
                    X