Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RadeonSI Gets Patches For OpenGL 4.5 Compat, Workaround For No Man's Sky On Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Gets Patches For OpenGL 4.5 Compat, Workaround For No Man's Sky On Steam Play

Phoronix: RadeonSI Gets Patches For OpenGL 4.5 Compat, Workaround For No Man's Sky On Steam Play

Valve open-source Linux GPU driver developer Timothy Arceri has spent a lot of time in recent months improving the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver's OpenGL compatibility profile support. Now there are patches taking it up to par with the core profile context support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's astonishing how far things have progressed in the recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
      It's astonishing how far things have progressed in the recent years.
      It seems like only yesterday that we were hoping for performance parity.

my fav memory was that one radeon bug where they were not using all the compute units on the chip (only using one cluster or something) that was a massive performance boost

Comment

How difficult would it be to bring r600 to 3.3 compat?

Comment

While RadeonSI certainly is the by far best GL driver for AMD hardware on Linux, I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't make sense to "port" it to PAL or even make a PAL-based open source GL driver. That way, it could be used on all platforms.
          Or AMD could go the ANGLE-route and just offer GL over Vulkan since they already have a good cross-platform Vulkan driver.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
            While RadeonSI certainly is the by far best GL driver for AMD hardware on Linux, I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't make sense to "port" it to PAL or even make a PAL-based open source GL driver. That way, it could be used on all platforms.
            Or AMD could go the ANGLE-route and just offer GL over Vulkan since they already have a good cross-platform Vulkan driver.
            There was a OpenGL over Vulkan driver in the works, but I think it's dead now.

If only ANGLE supported OpenGL itself.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              R600 is at 4.4...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                R600 is at 4.4...
                No... that's core profile, and of course, it's only for cards that support OpenGL 4.x (RadeonHD 5000 and later) and officially turned on only for cards that support fp64.
                The last time I had my RadeonHD 4550 active, it was 3.3 core and 3.0 compat.

Comment

No... that's core profile, and of course, it's only for cards that support OpenGL 4.x (RadeonHD 5000 and later) and officially turned on only for cards that support fp64.
                  Hmm, so the patch set by airlied for soft fp64 didn't get merged yet?

Comment

Not difficult, that is as easy as installing Debian 7 ELTS and fglrx-legacy-driver Yeah, dropped blobby had that compat 6+ years ago

Real question should be - does nowdays anybody care to bring 10+ years hardware down to up to dropped blobby alike compat version, blah, blah

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    R600 is at 4.4...
                    AFAIR R600 (with big R) was name of the chip found in a card of first HD so HD 2900 serie card which was not even capable of real 3.0
                    Last edited by dungeon; 25 August 2018, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X