Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RadeonSI Gets Another Handful Of OpenGL Extensions, Mirroring The PRO Driver's Behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Gets Another Handful Of OpenGL Extensions, Mirroring The PRO Driver's Behavior

Phoronix: RadeonSI Gets Another Handful Of OpenGL Extensions, Mirroring The PRO Driver's Behavior

Prolific Mesa contributor Marek Olšák has landed support for more OpenGL / OpenGL ES extensions into the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news! Thanks Marek, you are a great developer!

On a sidenote, anyone knows the situation of VAAPI 2 for amd? I can't seem to find any news about it. Does it work now?

Comment

I wonder if this will make running Divinity on radeonsi easier...

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        On a sidenote, anyone knows the situation of VAAPI 2 for amd? I can't seem to find any news about it. Does it work now?
        It does work now, at least with recent mesa + mpv.
        Last edited by Masush5; 24 August 2018, 12:23 PM.

Comment

I still can't figure out what's the problem with my r9 390x performing so badly in the last months I tried everything but switching from DP to DVI or HDMI. Anyone know if it could help?

Comment

Wow, great work marek and AMD (for choosing to go this way)!

Comment

Originally posted by prazola View Post
              I still can't figure out what's the problem with my r9 390x performing so badly in the last months I tried everything but switching from DP to DVI or HDMI. Anyone know if it could help?
              Do you have any measured performance numbers? Has it always performed bad, or when did it start performing badly? Was it as a part of a kernel upgrade, mesa upgrade, or something else that happened?

Comment

Originally posted by prazola View Post
                Latest firmware? https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...-firmware.git/

Comment

I wonder if they are going completely with an open driver or if they need to keep some of the driver secret. This seems like a move to minimize the difference between drivers but will it lead to complete removal of closed source.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                    Do you have any measured performance numbers? Has it always performed bad, or when did it start performing badly? Was it as a part of a kernel upgrade, mesa upgrade, or something else that happened?
                    I'm not sure, last time I played on linux was in christmas 2017 then I quit games for a while and since april when I had more time and I got a huge performance loss in games.
                    -Alien isolation 1080p ultra from 90+ to 40+ FPS, same with Shadow of Mordor and Tomb Raider. DE:MD from 70 to 20-30. It seems CSGO and superposition benchmark are not affected by the problem.
                    Last firmwares installed, drivers and mesa from mesa-git, I even tried disabling spectre and meltdown protection.

This is with and i7 [email protected], 16GB 2400MHz (very low timings), and an r9 390x strix oc. CPU and GPU liquid cooled, Windows gaming is fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X