AMDGPU-PRO 18.30 Pro/Open vs. Upstream Mesa OpenGL/Vulkan Radeon Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU-PRO 18.30 Pro/Open vs. Upstream Mesa OpenGL/Vulkan Radeon Benchmarks

Phoronix: AMDGPU-PRO 18.30 Pro/Open vs. Upstream Mesa OpenGL/Vulkan Radeon Benchmarks

Last week AMD released the AMDGPU-PRO 18.30 hybrid driver featuring their latest optional proprietary Linux driver components as well as the "all-open" driver stack option. Here are some initial benchmarks of that driver stack compared to what's shipped by default in Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS as well as the latest upstream Mesa/AMDGPU support.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why is Ubuntu stock so good?

Comment

bridgman

AMD already spotted those regressions in Deus EX: MD and F1 2017?

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
        Why is Ubuntu stock so good?
        It surprised me too, but honestly that's how it should be!

Desktop linux 2018, install and play, no messing with drivers necessary! Now with Windows support.

Am I dreaming?

Comment

Considering the Pro stack isn't using Mesa 18.3 what's the point of this comparison?

Comment

I think that in OpenGl/Vulkan, AMD is pregressing in the right path, the way they are dealing with their statck.

Now, they need to put more attention, and support more AMD hardware in OpenCl, because in the server world its OpenCL/Cuda that rules...
            No one is buying there, expensive cards to attach to a display...
            Its for paralel processing, and in this world, Linux has a MAJOR Pie, and it tends to increase with time even more..

AMD has competive hardware, and in some Areas, it his even the best,
            I see Rocm, with a big oportunity to AMD to gain steam, in GPU computing.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
              I think that in OpenGl/Vulkan, AMD is pregressing in the right path, the way they are dealing with their statck.

Now, they need to put more attention, and support more AMD hardware in OpenCl, because in the server world its OpenCL/Cuda that rules...
              No one is buying there, expensive cards to attach to a display...
              Its for paralel processing, and in this world, Linux has a MAJOR Pie, and it tends to increase with time even more..

AMD has competive hardware, and in some Areas, it his even the best,
              I see Rocm, with a big oportunity to AMD to gain steam, in GPU computing.
              i thought that should be sorted with ROCm and especially not that amdkfd will move into kernel?

From a consumer side i'd wish for OSS Freesync-Support finally...

@topic: indeed nice to see that the stock experience is that good!

Comment

So what's the conclusion? The results seem all over the place. Every stack wins in some games and loses in others.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
                  It surprised me too, but honestly that's how it should be!
                  Old versions of Mesa outperforming new versions is definitely not "how it should be".

Comment

Originally posted by Enverex View Post
                    Old versions of Mesa outperforming new versions is definitely not "how it should be".
                    It doesn't matter for the end user. Users shouldn't have to go out of their way to install new versions of their drivers. I do, but with this article I realized dealing with the extra PPA isn't worth it. Out of the box performance is extremely important. So yes, that is how it should be for the majority of users.

Developers have all of the information they need to deal with regressions.

Comment

Working...
                    X