Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU-PRO 18.30 Released With Ubuntu 18.04.1 Support & WattMan-Like Functionality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU-PRO 18.30 Released With Ubuntu 18.04.1 Support & WattMan-Like Functionality

Phoronix: AMDGPU-PRO 18.30 Released With Ubuntu 18.04.1 Support & WattMan-Like Functionality

AMDGPU-PRO 18.30 is now available as the long desired update to this official AMD Linux graphics driver package that consists of the driver installation option for both the "all-open" and closed/proprietary driver modules...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yawn.

Comment

fyi, it breaks on Ubuntu 18.10 cosmic, so make sure to install only on 18.04.

This version still works for me great on cosmic: https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...ase-Notes.aspx

I still use the above for OpenCL support on the latest kernel/distro until ROCm is supported. I also use the PRO's Vulkan alongside RADV.

Code:
      $ clinfo | grep 'Platform Version\|Device Version\|Device Board Name\|Max compute units\|Max clock frequency\|Global memory size'
      Platform Version: OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (2639.3)
      Max compute units: 36
      Max clock frequency: 1303Mhz
      Global memory size: 8105521152

~ ❯ vulkaninfo|grep deviceName
      deviceName = AMD RADV POLARIS10 (LLVM 6.0.1)
      deviceName = AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics
      Here are the only packages I needed for OpenCL and Vulkan PRO:

Note: if you do ./amdgpu-install --headless --opencl=legacy make sure to hit "No" when apt shows you what needs to be installed. It will install a lot of unnecessary packages if that's not what you want.

Code:
      ~ ❯ sudo apt list --installed|grep 18.20-606296

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

amdgpu-core/unknown,now 18.20-606296 all [installed,automatic]
      amdgpu-pro-core/unknown,now 18.20-606296 all [installed,automatic]
      clinfo-amdgpu-pro/unknown,now 18.20-606296 amd64 [installed]
      libopencl1-amdgpu-pro/unknown,now 18.20-606296 amd64 [installed]
      opencl-orca-amdgpu-pro-icd/unknown,now 18.20-606296 amd64 [installed]
      vulkan-amdgpu-pro/unknown,now 18.20-606296 amd64 [installed]
      wsa-amdgpu/unknown,now 18.20-606296 amd64 [installed,automatic]
      ~ ❯

~ ❯ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
      OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
      OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics (POLARIS10, DRM 3.26.0, 4.18.1-041801+custom-generic, LLVM 6.0.1)
      OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.1.5
      OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
      OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
      OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
      OpenGL core profile extensions:
      OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 18.1.5
      OpenGL shading language version string: 1.40
      OpenGL context flags: (none)
      OpenGL extensions:
      OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 18.1.5
      OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
      OpenGL ES profile extensions:
      ~ ❯
      All in all, everything is running great right now.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
        I still use the above for OpenCL support on the latest kernel/distro until ROCm is supported.
        All in all, everything is running great right now.
        Have you noticed any OpenCL improvements over the last amdgpu-pro release with the legacy driver?

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

Have you noticed any OpenCL improvements over the last amdgpu-pro release with the legacy driver?
          At this point very little but I'm not really looking. I use ethminer on my RX 480 so that's the extent of my OpenCL in Linux. Support in general is all I'm looking for at the moment while being able to run the latest kernel and Ubuntu distribution.

Getting about 27MH/s if it matters. (after downclocking core to reducer power usage)

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

At this point very little but I'm not really looking. I use ethminer on my RX 480 so that's the extent of my OpenCL in Linux. Support in general is all I'm looking for at the moment while being able to run the latest kernel and Ubuntu distribution.

Getting about 27MH/s if it matters. (after downclocking core to reducer power usage)
            Thanks. I likewise use my RX 580 for BOINC + Gridcoin . Looking forward to being able to use ROCm with it as soon as it works with PCIe gen 2 + Polaris.

Comment

Working...
            X