Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Begins Staging AMDGPU Patches For Linux 4.20/5.0, Including FreeSync Refactoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Begins Staging AMDGPU Patches For Linux 4.20/5.0, Including FreeSync Refactoring

Phoronix: AMD Begins Staging AMDGPU Patches For Linux 4.20/5.0, Including FreeSync Refactoring

With the DRM feature work for Linux 4.19 now in the kernel, AMD's stellar open-source driver team has begun staging their work-in-progress changes for the AMDGPU Direct Rendering Manager driver for the next kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wondering who will support Adaptive-Sync first. Intel or AMD...

Comment

given Linus Torvalds' expressed versioning preference of bumping the major kernel version once hitting that number equal to all of his fingers and toes.
      Let's hope he never has an accident

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post

Let's hope he never has an accident
        I think, he had one missing at some point, but later then it, apparently, grew back.

Comment

honestly, for 5.0, i would stop submitting ANY new code not bugfix/regression related and prompt the developers to pause all current work and use their time only towards that end, before going foward.

Comment

That's for "Linux 4.20" that will almost surely be renamed to "Linux 5.0" given Linus Torvalds' expressed versioning preference of bumping the major kernel version once hitting that number equal to all of his fingers and toes.
            Awwwww, but Linux 4.20 would be so great for jokes! :'(

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post

But then he'll lose track!

Originally posted by Linus
              I suspect that around 4.20 - which is I run out of fingers and toes to
              keep track of minor releases, and thus start getting mightily confused
              - I'll switch over. That was what happened for 4.0, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post
                I'm picturing Linus quitting his job, moving into his parents basement, with Bob Marley posters and black lights everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
                  honestly, for 5.0, i would stop submitting ANY new code not bugfix/regression related and prompt the developers to pause all current work and use their time only towards that end, before going foward.
                  "I don't want to be too predictable. The version numbers are meaningless" Linus Torvalds
                  Then again, that mean there's no real difference between 4.13 and 5.0. So no extra care on bugfix/regression should/has to/will be taken, and that's just ok.

Comment

amdkfd/kfd_device.c line 75 is my favourite line in the entire agd5f drm-next-4.20-wip.

Now if I can only figure out how to get the rest of libhsa to be happy.

Comment

Working...
                    X