Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More AMDGPU Work For Linux 4.19 Has VCN + PSP Firmware Hookup For Future Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing has really changed from previous asics. The firmware has been signed for ages. It's just the previously different hw blocks did the validation, now it has all been centralized in the PSP.

Comment

This makes me sad!
      All for a service which I don't even /ever use.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        It's sad that AMD has to jump the bandwagon, otherwise it's likely that Netflix won't play on their GPUs/APUs and normal users won't get it and just scream at the GPU vendor that their crap from Netflix won't work instead of blaming Netflix and the movie industry.
        Yes it is sad. Fortunately I don't need a new GPU, Netflix OR 4k video. I typically upgrade hardware before I actually have any need to do so. But put more and more negative BS into the hardware and drivers and it'll definitely make sure my money stays in my wallet and does not go to AMD anytime soon. In fact ongoing crap like this is why my current GPU has been in my machine for probably the longest I've ever owned any GPU in my life.

What I'm worried about, though, is if this will force DRM on ANY video being decoded on the GPU, even non-DRM'd videos. That would be a lot worse still than just Netflix.

I don't even understand why people actually care about Netflix. When was the last time you typed something into the Netflix search and found them to have it? Every single time I try, they offer to send me a DVD. No thanks! (This is on a relative's account - I wouldn't pay for the service myself because it's crap.)
        Last edited by Holograph; 17 August 2018, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          the bad news is that it looks like their VCN video hardware might be a bit more locked down than it is now...
          As agd5f said, there isn't anything new here. We have been signing and verifying microcode images for years and the video blocks were the first blocks to have signed microcode (even before we had PSP).
          Last edited by bridgman; 17 August 2018, 04:27 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            I guess they also jumped in bed with Netflix for this "4k premium" content; their APUs were the first that would even play that shit, NV and AMD followed much later, had to incorporate all sorts of hardware DRM first. It sucks.
            i fail to see how making netflix work sucks. it suck when netflix doesn't work, not the other way around

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              This makes me sad!
              All for a service which I don't even /ever use.
              >hot girl asks you if you want to netflix and chill
              >"I don't have netflix"

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
                >"I don't have netflix"
                If she doesn't have the sense to listen to the reasons behind it, nor the intelligence to realize the importance, she's not that attractive after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
                  Yes it is sad. Fortunately I don't need a new GPU, Netflix OR 4k video. I typically upgrade hardware before I actually have any need to do so. But put more and more negative BS into the hardware and drivers and it'll definitely make sure my money stays in my wallet and does not go to AMD anytime soon.
                  The video blocks have had signed microcode images for years. Nothing has changed other than us developing a new video block (VCN) which replaces UVD and VCE.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
                    >"I don't have netflix"
                    You can not be serious. (I'm not saying you are but if you are, read this.) If a girl asks to netflix and chill there are a few options:
                    1. She likes you and could do something else instead. Go watch a movie (maybe a rented one) or do something fun.
                    2. She likes you and wants you to come to her place to watch netflix. You don't need a netflix account then because she has one.
                    3. She doesn't like you really but wants to find someone that has netflix so that she can watch it. She's not really worth your time then.

First and second are not necessarily mutually exclusive. There might be some fourth option I didn't think of.

Comment

Working...
                    X