Linux 4.18 & FreeSync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.18 & FreeSync

...does it run now? Can someone with the appropriate hardware please try that out and report back? Thanks!

EDIT: It seems to be missing still.

FreeSync / AdaptiveSync - We are still waiting for the open-source DRM drivers to get over the last mile for FreeSync/AdaptiveSync. While the AMDGPU Display Code "DC" stack is mainlined and enabled by default, the developers are still waiting/working-on (we haven't seen much activity since April) in coming up with a FreeSync/AdaptiveSync API that could be used across the different Linux DRM drivers. The last discussion was documented here and unfortunately haven't seen anything happen since for allowing the open-source Linux desktop support these variable rate refresh technologies.
    @bridgman When can we expect FreeSync to be mainlined? Will this happen in 4.19? I wanted to buy a FreeSync monitor but don't feel like it. I don't know if it will ever come.
    Last edited by cRaZy-bisCuiT; 14 August 2018, 05:10 AM.

There is non-upstream support for freesync (including mesa patches). To go upstream, we need a common non-AMD specific API that other vendors can agree on. If you want to use freesync now, you can use the AMD packaged drivers (which support both all-open and pro stacks) or apply the out of tree patches.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      There is non-upstream support for freesync (including mesa patches). To go upstream, we need a common non-AMD specific API that other vendors can agree on. If you want to use freesync now, you can use the AMD packaged drivers (which support both all-open and pro stacks) or apply the out of tree patches.
      So this does mean nothing happens because nobody is doing something? That's not good. What about Kronos? Maybe you guys could dedicate the job to them?

I wonder why it would need to be non-vendor agnostic - shall nVidia and Intel support that as well with FOSS drivers?

EDIT: This means I'll postpone buying a FreeSync monitor until next year and go for Vega / Navi 7 nm to have enough power for WQHD by then.

100 € FreeSync panel is not an option since it should not be TN but IPS or PVA instead, non-curved, Vesa compatible and have a overall okayish picture quality (light, sharpness, black ....).
      Last edited by cRaZy-bisCuiT; 15 August 2018, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
        So this does mean nothing happens because nobody is doing something? That's not good. What about Kronos? Maybe you guys could dedicate the job to them?

I wonder why it would need to be non-vendor agnostic - shall nVidia and Intel support that as well with FOSS drivers?
        Only a vendor agnostic solution will be accepted upstream. Someone has to propose a solution and get consensus. We started to work on it a while back, but it's slipped down the priority list.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

These:
          https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...er/173076.html

are enough vendor agnostic solution, just manage these patches to upstream. We all want that Linux as gaming platform looks good, don't we? Do not forget to add support for HDMI freesync monitors that are popular.
          Those patches implement the AMD specific solution that is currently available. A vendor neutral one would need to be implemented as part of the KMS API rather than as a vendor specific one.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            Only a vendor agnostic solution will be accepted upstream. Someone has to propose a solution and get consensus. We started to work on it a while back, but it's slipped down the priority list.
            As an AMD user, this is top of the list for me. Is there any way we can feed this back to AMD management?

Comment

Working...
            X