Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon Pro 18.Q3 Linux Driver Released

Phoronix: AMD Radeon Pro 18.Q3 Linux Driver Released

AMD has released their Radeon Pro 18.Q3 enterprise driver update, including for supported Linux distributions, as their QA-tested professional-grade driver update for the quarter...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does amdgpu-pro build on top of the open source amdgpu driver or are they completely separate?

I'm getting a bit confused by all the amd drivers and abbreviations lately. We got radeon, amdgpu, amdgpu-pro, rocm, amdkfd... radv, amdvlk... can someone please explain what's the difference between each of these, please? Sorry for my ignorance.

Comment

They seem to change their naming scheme every couple releases, pretty irritating.

Comment

Proprietary driver: amdgpu pro
        Open source driver: mesa (with radeonsi for opengl and radv for vulkan)
        Kernelmodule: amdgpu (or radeon for pre 4.17 kernel and gcn 1.0 or 1.1 hardware)

Note that the amdgpu kernel module is used for both open source and closed source driver

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
          Does amdgpu-pro build on top of the open source amdgpu driver or are they completely separate?

I'm getting a bit confused by all the amd drivers and abbreviations lately. We got radeon, amdgpu, amdgpu-pro, rocm, amdkfd... radv, amdvlk... can someone please explain what's the difference between each of these, please? Sorry for my ignorance.

also: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVIYqZ5XcAEs4n6.jpg

Last edited by xxmitsu; 08 August 2018, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
            It's an add on the the open source components. If you don't install the closed source OGL and OCL packages, you get a packaged version of the open source driver.

Comment

Can I use open source (Mesa) driver with Radeon Pro WX card?

Comment

Originally posted by Mariusz View Post
                Can I use open source (Mesa) driver with Radeon Pro WX card?
                Of course. I have a Radeon Pro WX 5100 (Polaris based) and it works flawless, out of the box.

Comment

As nice as OS drivers are the Official AMD one gives me WAY less hassles with games. Little to no artifacts and Vsync works...plus I get too many games / benchmarks saying not enough memory with the open source drivers. When I have 8GB VRAM. So who cares if it's faster or the same speed wise - stability over performance.

Comment

Originally posted by dfyt View Post
                    As nice as OS drivers are the Official AMD one gives me WAY less hassles with games. Little to no artifacts and Vsync works...plus I get too many games / benchmarks saying not enough memory with the open source drivers. When I have 8GB VRAM. So who cares if it's faster or the same speed wise - stability over performance.
                    I know you meant pro, but both are official drivers for Linux.

What card do you have and what games do you see these problems on? I haven't seen it with the RX 580 8GB.

Comment

Working...
                    X