Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More AMDGPU DRM Updates Sent In For The Linux 4.19 Kernel, Possible Power Savings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
    Am I the only one that doesn't care about power savings? Am I the only one with a desktop computer?
    No, you are only one with your own island energy resource or only one financially blind. Please, response only when you have something enthropy-reducing to write down.

Comment

Am I the only one that doesn't care about power savings? Am I the only one with a desktop computer?
      Not the only desktop user, but I would venture that you are one of the few who don't care about power savings.

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
        What's happening with the memory clock?
        The memory clock stays at its low value regardless of the display refresh rate, and only rises if there is actual rendering going on.

Comment

Originally posted by pjezek View Post

No, you are only one with your own island energy resource or only one financially blind. Please, response only when you have something enthropy-reducing to write down.
          This burn was so brilliant that it actually made me log in just so that I could leave a like and this comment.

Comment

on desktop energy consumption translates into fan noise

Comment

Try living in Somalia for few years. You might want to save power even when using desktop computers there. https://borgenproject.org/electricit...ing-many-dark/

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                on desktop energy consumption translates into fan noise
                Although people have switched to larger heatsinks and fans lately. Modern gaming rig has 140mm or 200mm fans. They make lower freq sound which is easier to get below the hearing threshold as human hearing of low freq sounds is less capable.

Comment

Fantastic, there is much to be improved in this area in terms of the AMD Linux drivers. Good news it's getting some attention.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Although people have switched to larger heatsinks and fans lately. Modern gaming rig has 140mm or 200mm fans. They make lower freq sound which is easier to get below the hearing threshold as human hearing of low freq sounds is less capable.
                    1. i had 200 mm case fans since 2012 or so. they are not below hearing threshold
                    2. videocard doesn't have 200mm fans
                    the only real solution for noise is either "move case to other room" or "water cooling with long pipes to cooler in other room". i.e. "move fans to other room" in both cases

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      1. i had 200 mm case fans since 2012 or so. they are not below hearing threshold
                      Depends on your load. You can control their speed with PWM.
                      2. videocard doesn't have 200mm fans
                      Um, did you know the whole point of those 200mm fans is to cool the radiator which is connected to CPU & GPU via water pipes? That way you can strip off the shitty noisy fans that come with the boards.

the only real solution for noise is either "move case to other room" or "water cooling with long pipes to cooler in other room". i.e. "move fans to other room" in both cases
                      Try adjusting your gear. I have 2x160mm fans on my radiator and it's pretty much noise free. Maybe 12 dB total noise when machine is idle. When playing AAA games, I have immersive game sounds turned on and the avg noise level is probably 80 dB. I can't really hear the machine when playing. When I'm doing desktop stuff or compiling, the fans run at 50% speed max. PSU fan won't even start spinning. The machine becomes loud only when mining crypto currency or transcoding video.

Comment

Working...
                      X