Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More AMDGPU DRM Updates Sent In For The Linux 4.19 Kernel, Possible Power Savings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More AMDGPU DRM Updates Sent In For The Linux 4.19 Kernel, Possible Power Savings

Phoronix: More AMDGPU DRM Updates Sent In For The Linux 4.19 Kernel, Possible Power Savings

Towards the end of June an initial batch of AMDGPU updates were sent in to DRM-Next for targeting the Linux 4.19 kernel. Now a second round of updates have been submitted of the AMDGPU/Radeon kernel for this next kernel series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Additional power savings are always welcome, but I hope they won't change the default clock adjustment heuristics to being too much tuned for power savings for stationary PCs one day. I very much appreciate that I encounter 0 stuttering due to aggressive upclocking. Unlike on Windows...

Comment

What is stutter mode?

Comment

I would like to repeat a recent question of mine since it is more on-topic for the article:

The idle power consumption(*) of my RX 460 more than doubles between displaying 4k at 50Hz and displaying 4k at 60Hz refresh rate - as it seems because at 60Hz, suddenly the minimum GPU shader clock is set to the second-highest value instead of staying pretty low.

Would be interesting to know: What power consumption(*) does your system report when using
        xrandr --output HDMI-A-0 --mode 3840x2160 --rate 50
        versus
        xrandr --output HDMI-A-0 --mode 3840x2160 --rate 60
        ?

(*) according to "echo $(( $(cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/hwmon/hwmon0/power1_average) / 1000000)) W"

Comment

Stutter mode is AMDs name for using a large display FIFO. So display scanout generates disjoint large bursts of requests instead of a of a slow stream of isochronous requests. This allows DRAM to go into sleep mode in the gaps between the requests.

Comment

Will this finally turn the fans off when they're not neeeded?

Comment

Originally posted by menneskelighet View Post
              Will this finally turn the fans off when they're not neeeded?
              Isn't that up to the cards firmware to decide? I have two Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury's and the fans on them always behaved exactly like on Windows and fans turn off completly at idle and low load. Never had any fan related issues.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                I would like to repeat a recent question of mine since it is more on-topic for the article:

The idle power consumption(*) of my RX 460 more than doubles between displaying 4k at 50Hz and displaying 4k at 60Hz refresh rate - as it seems because at 60Hz, suddenly the minimum GPU shader clock is set to the second-highest value instead of staying pretty low.
                What's happening with the memory clock?

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Isn't that up to the cards firmware to decide? I have two Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury's and the fans on them always behaved exactly like on Windows and fans turn off completly at idle and low load. Never had any fan related issues.
                  I've Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580, but the fans don't turn off in Linux (they do in Windows).

Comment

Am I the only one that doesn't care about power savings? Am I the only one with a desktop computer?

Comment

Working...
                    X