Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    ... Performance-wise, it's comparable to radv and the pro driver:
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
    Yes it's comparable and AFAIR this comparison^ shows RADV leading performance-wise more often. Except on Vega.

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
      It's a huge shame that developers, Valve and Feral don't support the official AMDVLK driver.
      RADV brings discord and misunderstanding among new developers and users of Linux.
      You got that exactly backwards....

Comment

Other than the compiler, it's the same code base as the pro driver so feature-wise they are equivalent. In fact it's probably ahead of the pro driver feature-wise because it contains the latest development features in git.
        Maybe i haven't checked in recently enough. Does it have geometry and tessellation shaders enabled by default on all hardware yet? Without needing to use game profiles to do it?

Comment

i was able to play Thrones of Brittania, F1 2017 and Dawn of War games with AMDGPU-PRO 18.20 Driver.

CPU - I7-5960X
          OS - Ubuntu 18.04 (4.15 Kernel)
          GPU - Vega

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Maybe i haven't checked in recently enough. Does it have geometry and tessellation shaders enabled by default on all hardware yet? Without needing to use game profiles to do it?
            *crickets*

Maybe you just aren't watching the thread anymore, but I'm gonna take that as a no. In which case, it's really laughable that you are trying to say that the driver is fully featured and worth people taking a look at.

Comment

Yes, they are enabled.

Comment

Yes, they are enabled.
                Ok, then I guess maybe it is time to take another look at it.

I still don't think you're ever going to get any real usage unless AMD starts managing this like proper releases, the way you do with the pro drivers. I guess that's sort of what the code dumps are every few weeks. Are they tested at all on AMD's side to avoid regressions the way the -pro drivers are, or even the lesser amounts that Mesa gets before a release?

Comment

Ok, then I guess maybe it is time to take another look at it.

I still don't think you're ever going to get any real usage unless AMD starts managing this like proper releases, the way you do with the pro drivers. I guess that's sort of what the code dumps are every few weeks. Are they tested at all on AMD's side to avoid regressions the way the -pro drivers are, or even the lesser amounts that Mesa gets before a release?
                  I don't disagree that the current governance model for amdvlk isn't great. The amdvlk git tree is similar to mesa master so it doesn't get the same level of QA as the packaged drivers do. Note that the packaged drivers include both the fully open stack and the pro stack add ons. Both go through QA.

Comment

Originally posted by leedhar View Post
                    i was able to play Thrones of Brittania, F1 2017 and Dawn of War games with AMDGPU-PRO 18.20 Driver.

CPU - I7-5960X
                    GPU - Vega
                    I was also able to play Thrones of Britannia, F1 2017 and Dawn of War III games with AMDGPU-PRO 18.20 Driver.

CPU - i7-6700K
                    OS - Ubuntu 16.04 (4.15 Kernel)
                    GPU - R9 Fury

Comment

Originally posted by leedhar View Post

CPU - I7-5960X
                      GPU - Vega
                      I was also able to play Thrones of Britannia, F1 2017 and Dawn of War III games with AMDGPU-PRO 18.20 Driver.

CPU - i7-6700K
                      OS - Ubuntu 16.04 (4.15 Kernel)
                      GPU - R9 Fury

Comment

Working...
                      X