Radeon Software 18.20 vs. Mesa 18.2 RadeonSI/RADV Linux Driver Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Software 18.20 vs. Mesa 18.2 RadeonSI/RADV Linux Driver Performance

Phoronix: Radeon Software 18.20 vs. Mesa 18.2 RadeonSI/RADV Linux Driver Performance

Last week AMD released the Radeon Software 18.20 driver "AMDGPU-PRO" with support for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. If you are curious how their closed-source OpenGL and Vulkan driver performance is comparing to the latest Mesa-based open-source driver, here are performance metrics using the latest drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

good to see radv catching up

Comment

Viva RADV! Viva la MESA!

Comment

OpenGL 4.4 compat - Timo did GREAT job!

Comment

Hey Michael I'm curious, why is it that you sometimes switch between using the padoka ppa and the oibaf ppa?

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
            Hey Michael I'm curious, why is it that you sometimes switch between using the padoka ppa and the oibaf ppa?
            Benefit of Padoka PPA is that it builds with newer LLVM SVN snapshots that is important during RadeonSI tests, so usually for Radeon tests I use Padoka. With Intel/Nouveau that doesn't matter as much. Some builds of Padoka also tend to be buggy as to when sometimes I test with Oibaf. Or I am building from source when having the time and looking to compare Mesa versions.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Benefit of Padoka PPA is that it builds with newer LLVM SVN snapshots that is important during RadeonSI tests, so usually for Radeon tests I use Padoka. With Intel/Nouveau that doesn't matter as much. Some builds of Padoka also tend to be buggy as to when sometimes I test with Oibaf. Or I am building from source when having the time and looking to compare Mesa versions.
              Ah makes sense; I recently had some issues with the padoka ppa. Thanks for the response

Comment

It is really good to see that Gap in Vulkan performance closing on the RX Vega. I wonder how long it will be until it starts over taking it. I think it might be a bit tougher this time around as this is their main Vulkan implementation!

Comment

The proprietary vulkan driver seems to be superior to RadV in terms of performance.

but very poor showing from AMD that 3 Vulkan games did not work: Thrones of Brittania, F1 2017 and Dawn of War. It's not like there are hundreds of Vulkan games to test with. These issues should have been ironed out..
                  Last edited by humbug; 27 June 2018, 12:44 AM.

Comment

It seems rather daft to test AMDGPU Pro with the 4.15 kernel against 18.20 Mesa and the 4.17 kernel. Pair the Mesa 18.2 with the 4.15 linux kernel for a baseline.

Comment

Working...
                    X