No announcement yet.

Radeon Software 18.20 Stable Released With Official Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Software 18.20 Stable Released With Official Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Support

Phoronix: Radeon Software 18.20 Stable Released With Official Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Support

The Radeon Software "AMDGPU-PRO" 18.20 hybrid driver stack is now available with official support for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 17.20...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm now this is interesting. I am having some flickering problems on my Macbook Pro 2015 triple monitor setup with radeon driver, if I can't figure it out I might give the binary blob a go.
    Last edited by cen1; 21 June 2018, 05:22 AM.

Comment

EDIT: tl;dr skip this post. Created a new post below without the issues mentioned here, but will leave this message in tact as to not confuse.

I just started using this new version two days ago for OpenCL support with my RX 480 (also using PRO's Vulkan alongside RADV), I installed it with:

$ ./amdgpu-install --opencl=legacy --headless -y

For Vulkan pro (needs to be run after the above command which adds an apt local file to /etc/apt/sources.list.d):

$ sudo apt install vulkan-amdgpu-pro

But just a warning: the amdgpu-dkms package (installed automatically even with headless) installs an amdgpu module that makes my desktop fail to boot.

The fix for me was:

$ sudo dkms remove -m amdgpu -v 18.20-606296 -k all

All was good and my desktop booted fine after that. (tried different Mesa versions also, nothing worked except removing the module). OpenCL and everything else still worked without this module. I kept the amdgpu-dkms installed for no good reason, feel free to remove it altogether rather than removing the module, up to you.

glxinfo, on this new version as opposed to previous version of AMDGPU-PRO 18.20 shows PRO's Mesa is being used but I'm not sure if that's correct (I have padoka stable PPA installed).

Code:
      $ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
      OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
      OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics (POLARIS10 / DRM 3.25.0 AMD 18.20  / 4.17.2-041702-generic, LLVM 6.
      OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.0.0
      OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
      OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
      OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
      OpenGL core profile extensions:
      OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.0
      OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
      OpenGL context flags: (none)
      OpenGL extensions:
      OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 18.0.0
      OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
      OpenGL ES profile extensions:
      Code:
      $ sudo apt list --installed|grep 18.20

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

amdgpu/unknown,now 18.20-606296 amd64 [installed]
      amdgpu-core/unknown,now 18.20-606296 all [installed,automatic]
      amdgpu-dkms/unknown,now 18.20-606296 all [installed,automatic]
      amdgpu-pro-core/unknown,now 18.20-606296 all [installed,automatic]
      clinfo-amdgpu-pro/unknown,now 18.20-606296 amd64 [installed]
      gir1.2-unity-5.0/bionic,now 7.1.4+18.04.20180209.1-0ubuntu2 amd64 [installed]
      ieee-data/bionic,bionic,now 20180204.1 all [installed,automatic]
      libopencl1-amdgpu-pro/unknown,now 18.20-606296 amd64 [installed,automatic]
      libunity-protocol-private0/bionic,now 7.1.4+18.04.20180209.1-0ubuntu2 amd64 [installed]
      libunity-scopes-json-def-desktop/bionic,bionic,now 7.1.4+18.04.20180209.1-0ubuntu2 all [installed]
      libunity9/bionic,now 7.1.4+18.04.20180209.1-0ubuntu2 amd64 [installed]
      opencl-orca-amdgpu-pro-icd/unknown,now 18.20-606296 amd64 [installed]
      vulkan-amdgpu-pro/unknown,now 18.20-606296 amd64 [installed]
      wsa-amdgpu/unknown,now 18.20-606296 amd64 [installed,automatic]
      Code:
      $ vulkaninfo|grep deviceName
          deviceName     = AMD RADV POLARIS10 (LLVM 6.0.0)
          deviceName     = AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics
      Hope this helps someone looking to achieve a similar setup. I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 GNOME with Linux kernel 4.17.2. All is great here.
      Last edited by perpetually high; 21 June 2018, 02:18 AM.

Comment

"The Radeon Software "AMDGPU-PRO" 18.20 hybrid driver stack is now available with official support for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 17.20. "

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.5 ?

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
          I just started using this new version two days ago for OpenCL support with my RX 480 (also using PRO's Vulkan alongside RADV)

Hope this helps someone looking to achieve a similar setup. I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 GNOME with Linux kernel 4.17.2. All is great here.
          This is not great. This is horrible. First your system should not fail to boot under no circumstances. Second you might be knowledgable enough to recover from that kind of situation, most people would not.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post

This is not great. This is horrible. First your system should not fail to boot under no circumstances. Second you might be knowledgable enough to recover from that kind of situation, most people would not.
            Take it easy, man. I saw Michael post about the new 18.20 which I already knew about and shared my personal experience. YMMV.

As opposed to people not being knowledgeable, that's most of us. We're all still learning. (I learned yesterday I just needed to edit grub on a bad boot to desktop by pressing 'e' and adding nomodeset to the kernel boot parameters, and wah-la, I'm back up and running. Before I was doing chroot from a Live USB.)

If people don't know how to recover, they'll learn. You should always have stable backups. Clonezilla is our friend.

Comment

You should do a VulkanAPI comparison with this PRO driver and the open source options, see if the PRO driver still has the better vulkan performance.

Comment

If anyone from AMD is around, the firmwares included in this are newer than the ones in the Linux tree for at least some cards.
                In my case without the firmware from the Pro stack I cannot use amdvlk with my Tahiti and there's a similar issue on github with Cape Verde, so there might be more,
                maybe for all firmwares in the radeon folder that can be used by cards supported by amdgpu?

It'd be nice if these were upstreamed.

Comment

I have forwarded your observation to the upstream devs.
                  Test signature

Comment

Good news, guys. I was able to get the hybrid approach working perfectly without the amdgpu-dkms issues mentioned above.

So to recap:

OpenCL: AMDGPU-PRO 18.20
                    OpenGL: Mesa 18.1.1 (x-swat PPA for latest stable Mesa. up to you)
                    Vulkan: Both RADV and AMDGPU-PRO

RX 480, Ubuntu 18.04, Linux kernel 4.17.2

What I did this time: (if you already have AMDGPU-PRO installed, first run $ amdgpu-uninstall, and also purge any graphics ppa so you start fresh and avoid problems)

$ ./amdgpu-install --headless --opencl=legacy

Run the above command so the script creates the local apt file, but hit 'n' when it apt asks you to install the packages.

Now let's install the OpenCL support ourself:

$ sudo apt install clinfo-amdgpu-pro opencl-orca-amdgpu-pro-icd

If you want AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan, run the following:

$ sudo apt install vulkan-amdgpu-pro

That should be it. Here's what mine looks like:

OpenGL:
                    Code:
                    $ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
                    OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
                    OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics (POLARIS10, DRM 3.25.0, 4.17.2-041702-generic, LLVM 6.0.0)
                    OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.1.1
                    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
                    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
                    OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
                    OpenGL core profile extensions:
                    OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 18.1.1
                    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.40
                    OpenGL context flags: (none)
                    OpenGL extensions:
                    OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 18.1.1
                    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
                    OpenGL ES profile extensions:
                    OpenCL:
                    Code:
                    ~ ❯ clinfo | grep 'Platform Version\|Device Version\|Device Board Name\|Max compute units\|Max clock frequency\|Global memory size'
                      Platform Version:                 OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (2639.3)
                      Max compute units:                 36
                      Max clock frequency:                 1303Mhz
                      Global memory size:                 8236683264
                    Vulkan:
                    Code:
                    $ vulkaninfo|grep deviceName
                        deviceName     = AMD RADV POLARIS10 (LLVM 6.0.0)
                        deviceName     = AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics

Comment

Working...
                    X