Radeon Software 18.20 Stable Released With Official Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
    Good news, guys. I was able to get the hybrid approach working perfectly without the amdgpu-dkms issues mentioned above.
    Thanks, your approach worked for me as well.

Kind regards

B.

Comment

bridgman just a single question: are DKMS modules found in ROCm and AMDGPU-PRO compatible with each other? I.e. are these packages generally the same, do their sources match?

For ex. now I use dkms package from ROCm 1.8.1 because it was most recent update. Now 18.20 stable released with updated firmware and DKMS, can I just pick it up and use with ROCm?

I need to build DKMS modules just to support OpenCL computing on Vega. As far as I know kernel v. 4.17 already has KFD module upstreamed with Polaris support, but Vega support will come in 4.18. Is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by uentity View Post
        bridgman just a single question:
        I count at least three questions

bridgman are DKMS modules found in ROCm and AMDGPU-PRO compatible with each other? I.e. are these packages generally the same, do their sources match?
        Similar but not the same. Before ROCm releases started making use of DKMS each AMDGPU-PRO release generally picked up ROCm code from the most recent previous ROCm release. Now that ROCm stacks are using DKMS we have turned that around, so each ROCm release is generally based on the kernel code from the most recent previous AMDGPU-PRO release.

The sources do not match, however... there are often additional changes and fixes in the ROCm kernel code relative to the AMDGPU-PRO release it is based on, since AMDGPU-PRO doesn't make use of KFD at the moment and so AMDGPU-PRO release testing does not heavily exercise ROCm compute.

For ex. now I use dkms package from ROCm 1.8.1 because it was most recent update. Now 18.20 stable released with updated firmware and DKMS, can I just pick it up and use with ROCm?
        Not recommended because we don't test those combinations, although it will probably work-ish. The AMDGPU-PRO 18.20 code will flow through into ROCm 1.9 though.

I need to build DKMS modules just to support OpenCL computing on Vega. As far as I know kernel v. 4.17 already has KFD module upstreamed with Polaris support, but Vega support will come in 4.18. Is that right?
        Correct - 4.17 has KFD support up to Polaris; 4.18 adds Vega support. What we have upstream now is probably best described as "core" KFD support, but there are a few features in the ROCm stack (userptr and peer-to-peer, perhaps) which are not upstream yet.

Also remember that AMDGPU-PRO OpenCL uses PAL paths for Vega these days, while ROCm stack OpenCL uses ROCm paths.
        Test signature

Comment

I installed new drivers. However, I had problems with dkms and initramdisk - firmware has not been supplied into initramdisk. Next dkms rebuilding installation correctly supply firmware in initrd. The script tries to install some obsolete packages for headless installation, I chose OpenCL packages from the package manager. A DKMS AMDGPU module is incompilable for latest kernels 4.16, 4.17 but can be built for kernel 4.15.
          EDIT: I am using OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and I installed version for SLES/SLED.

Comment

Good news, guys. I was able to get the hybrid approach working perfectly without the amdgpu-dkms issues mentioned above.

So to recap:

OpenCL: AMDGPU-PRO 18.20
            OpenGL: Mesa 18.1.1 (x-swat PPA for latest stable Mesa. up to you)
            Vulkan: Both RADV and AMDGPU-PRO

RX 480, Ubuntu 18.04, Linux kernel 4.17.2

What I did this time: (if you already have AMDGPU-PRO installed, first run $ amdgpu-uninstall, and also purge any graphics ppa so you start fresh and avoid problems)

$ ./amdgpu-install --headless --opencl=legacy

Run the above command so the script creates the local apt file, but hit 'n' when it apt asks you to install the packages.

Now let's install the OpenCL support ourself:

$ sudo apt install clinfo-amdgpu-pro opencl-orca-amdgpu-pro-icd

If you want AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan, run the following:

$ sudo apt install vulkan-amdgpu-pro

That should be it. Here's what mine looks like:

OpenGL:
            Code:
            $ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
            OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
            OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics (POLARIS10, DRM 3.25.0, 4.17.2-041702-generic, LLVM 6.0.0)
            OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.1.1
            OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
            OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
            OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
            OpenGL core profile extensions:
            OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 18.1.1
            OpenGL shading language version string: 1.40
            OpenGL context flags: (none)
            OpenGL extensions:
            OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 18.1.1
            OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
            OpenGL ES profile extensions:
            OpenCL:
            Code:
            ~ ❯ clinfo | grep 'Platform Version\|Device Version\|Device Board Name\|Max compute units\|Max clock frequency\|Global memory size'
            Platform Version: OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (2639.3)
            Max compute units: 36
            Max clock frequency: 1303Mhz
            Global memory size: 8236683264
            Vulkan:
            Code:
            $ vulkaninfo|grep deviceName
            deviceName = AMD RADV POLARIS10 (LLVM 6.0.0)
            deviceName = AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics
            Mentioning sudo would seem important.

$ sudo ./amdgpu-install --headless --opencl=legacy

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Mentioning sudo would seem important.

$ sudo ./amdgpu-install --headless --opencl=legacy
              AMD's instructions do not mention to explicitly use sudo. I've also never used sudo when installing these AMDGPU-PRO drivers and had zero problems, not sure where you got that from.

Comment

AMD's instructions do not mention to explicitly use sudo. I've also never used sudo when installing these AMDGPU-PRO drivers and had zero problems, not sure where you got that from.
                On Debian you won't get a package driver to install w/o it.

Comment

[email protected]:~/Downloads/AMDGPU-PRO-18.20-606296/amdgpu-pro-18.20-606296$ clinfo | grep 'Platform Version\|Device Version\|Device Board Name\|Max compute units\|Max clock frequency\|Global memory size'
                  Platform Version OpenCL 1.1 Mesa 18.1.2
                  Platform Version OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (2639.3)
                  Device Version OpenCL 1.1 Mesa 18.1.2
                  Max compute units 36
                  Max clock frequency 1338MHz
                  Global memory size 8587014144 (7.997GiB)
                  Device Version OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (2639.3)
                  Device Board Name (AMD) AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics
                  Max compute units 36
                  Max clock frequency 1338MHz
                  Global memory size 4872806400 (4.538GiB)
                  [email protected]:~/Downloads/AMDGPU-PRO-18.20-606296/amdgpu-pro-18.20-606296$

[email protected]:~/Downloads/AMDGPU-PRO-18.20-606296/amdgpu-pro-18.20-606296$ vulkaninfo | grep deviceName
                  deviceName = AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics
                  [email protected]:~/Downloads/AMDGPU-PRO-18.20-606296/amdgpu-pro-18.20-606296$

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                    If anyone from AMD is around, the firmwares included in this are newer than the ones in the Linux tree for at least some cards.
                    In my case without the firmware from the Pro stack I cannot use amdvlk with my Tahiti and there's a similar issue on github with Cape Verde, so there might be more,
                    maybe for all firmwares in the radeon folder that can be used by cards supported by amdgpu?

It'd be nice if these were upstreamed.
                    Do you see issues with OpenCL?

In my case I keep seeing very reproducible corrupted memory coming out from device (I need to use GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR=1 to create a queue, which may hint at the issue since the card natively uses 32bit pointers).

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                      If anyone from AMD is around, the firmwares included in this are newer than the ones in the Linux tree for at least some cards.
                      In my case without the firmware from the Pro stack I cannot use amdvlk with my Tahiti and there's a similar issue on github with Cape Verde, so there might be more,
                      maybe for all firmwares in the radeon folder that can be used by cards supported by amdgpu?

It'd be nice if these were upstreamed.
                      OK, apparently the newer microcode may not work with the radeon driver, which is still the upstream default, so still some work to do before they can be upstreamed.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X