A Slew Of AMDGPU DC Updates Published, Further Improvements For Raven Ridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

I still didn't try, but with 4.17 it should be possible: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ng_with_amdgpu
    i tried it. doesnt work. none of the sysfs diles showed and after reading this article i guess its because powerplay its still not supported in raven

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

i tried it. doesnt work. none of the sysfs diles showed and after reading this article i guess its because powerplay its still not supported in raven
      Powerplay (e.g., dynamic gpu clocking, etc.) is supported on raven, but overclocking and manual voltage control is not.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Powerplay (e.g., dynamic gpu clocking, etc.) is supported on raven, but overclocking and manual voltage control is not.
        okay, but then what does this "PowerPlay integration with Raven Ridge" mean and will raven igp overclock be supported soon?

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          That's very sad. Those could be the 10% FPS that prevent ROTTR from dropping below critical FPS in 1080p on my HTPC...

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

okay, but then what does this "PowerPlay integration with Raven Ridge" mean
            Improving communication between powerplay and DC to save additional power.
            Last edited by agd5f; 20 June 2018, 12:11 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              Windows users get a WHQL driver for APUs every 3 months, instead of monthly(?) releases for the dGPUs.

So it is not "really scarce". Though admittedly, a serious setback for APU gaming on Windows. Users may have to wait up to 3 months until a new game is properly supported by their drivers.
              What? Latest driver for Ryzen 2500U on Windows was from 10/09/2017 (version 22.19.655.1) based on my driver timestamps. That's slightly more than three months. 22.19.655.2 (also from 2017) also exists but for some reason Windows prefers 22.19.655.1

Comment

Originally posted by Ground0 View Post
                For Ryzen Mobile last driver available from HP / Lenovo are end of 2017 ... 3 Month ago .... (Linux Drivers works for me better than the one from Windows for the Daily usage, more stable, on HP Envy x360)
                Notebook is a special situation. AMD agreed to transfer all responsibility for releasing Windows drivers to the OEM.

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                What? Latest driver for Ryzen 2500U on Windows was from 10/09/2017 (version 22.19.655.1) based on my driver timestamps. That's slightly more than three months. 22.19.655.2 (also from 2017) also exists but for some reason Windows prefers 22.19.655.1
                The statement about 3 month release cycle for Windows APU drivers comes from an AMD representative on OcUK forums.
                https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/th...#post-31884100

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  Notebook is a special situation. AMD agreed to transfer all responsibility for releasing Windows drivers to the OEM.

The statement about 3 month release cycle for Windows APU drivers comes from an AMD representative on OcUK forums.
                  https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/th...#post-31884100
                  Ah, right. So in reality I was talking about notebooks too. OEM's aren't keeping their part of the bargain resulting in common driver issues and crashes. Guess what impact this is having on reputation of AMD on Windows
                  Last edited by nanonyme; 21 June 2018, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Indeed, the reputation of AMD was severely impacted by OEMs using AMD processors only in cheap plastic 3 kg 15" 1366x768 laptops, and stopping to care about them soon after release.

Now we see the hardware part changing a bit (but not fully, Thinkpad T480 can be purchased with 1440p screen but A485 only with 1080p...), but the software situation in Windows still sucks. Which doesn't affect me personally, but surely this cannot be good for AMD.

Comment

Working...
                    X