A Slew Of AMDGPU DC Updates Published, Further Improvements For Raven Ridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Slew Of AMDGPU DC Updates Published, Further Improvements For Raven Ridge

Phoronix: A Slew Of AMDGPU DC Updates Published, Further Improvements For Raven Ridge

There hasn't been a new AMDGPU DC code drop in a while as AMD developers work to improve their internal processes, but hitting the wire today is a set of 51 new patches for this "display code" stack that work on a variety of improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, finally complete raven ridge support by the middle of summer?

Comment

Thanks for pp-support! It was a bit disappointing for me not to be able to overclock the gpu as a Linux user but I‘m very happy that this is still in progress. (Edit: not - see #12)
      Last edited by oooverclocker; 20 June 2018, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
        Thanks for pp-support! It was a bit disappointing for me not to be able to overclock the gpu as a Linux user but I‘m very happy that this is still in progress.
        Check out OhGodATool. I overclock my RX 480 no problem.

Code:
        sudo sh -c "echo manual > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level"
        sudo ohgodatool -i 0 --set-fanspeed 40 --mem-state 1 --mem-clock 2080 --core-state 5 --core-clock 1191
        sudo sh -c "echo 5 > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_dpm_sclk"
        Personally what I use on my desktop (I mine ethereum on it), so I wanted to downclock core, overclock mem, and set fan to a fixed 40%. Cuts power usage from 160W to 117W

Comment

Originally posted by makam View Post
          So, finally complete raven ridge support by the middle of summer?
          Seems the situation is better than for Windows APU users. They were scoped out of primary drivers so you get really scarce updates

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            really scarce updates
            Windows users get a WHQL driver for APUs every 3 months, instead of monthly(?) releases for the dGPUs.

So it is not "really scarce". Though admittedly, a serious setback for APU gaming on Windows. Users may have to wait up to 3 months until a new game is properly supported by their drivers.

Comment

For Ryzen Mobile last driver available from HP / Lenovo are end of 2017 ... 3 Month ago .... (Linux Drivers works for me better than the one from Windows for the Daily usage, more stable, on HP Envy x360)

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
                Thanks for pp-support! It was a bit disappointing for me not to be able to overclock the gpu as a Linux user but I‘m very happy that this is still in progress.
                I still didn't try, but with 4.17 it should be possible: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ng_with_amdgpu
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

With these changes will dc be default again for sea islands in amdgpu?

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                    Windows users get a WHQL driver for APUs every 3 months, instead of monthly(?) releases for the dGPUs.

So it is not "really scarce". Though admittedly, a serious setback for APU gaming on Windows. Users may have to wait up to 3 months until a new game is properly supported by their drivers.
                    6950, no driver update for years.
                    not a single issue found, the gpu everyone complains about getting drop in support "early" yet it seems to work fine for my nephew, apart from it being so old and slow.

Can play modern titles perfectly, that were released two years since last driver...

Comment

Working...
                    X