AMDGPU Performance Tests With New WattMan-Like Settings, Power Capping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Performance Tests With New WattMan-Like Settings, Power Capping

Phoronix: AMDGPU Performance Tests With New WattMan-Like Settings, Power Capping

With the recent stable debut of the Linux 4.17 kernel, one of the most common performance test requests coming in has been for checking out the Radeon WattMan-like support that was introduced with the Linux 4.17 AMDGPU code for recent generations of Radeon graphics card. Here are some benchmarks of that and on a somewhat related note also some Linux gaming benchmark results when carrying out some power capping tests to restrict the graphics card to a given Wattage...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: AMDGPU Performance Tests With New WattMan-Like Settings, Power Capping

With the recent stable debut of the Linux 4.17 kernel, one of the most common performance test requests coming in has been for checking out the Radeon WattMan-like support that was introduced with the Linux 4.17 AMDGPU code for recent generations of Radeon graphics card. Here are some benchmarks of that and on a somewhat related note also some Linux gaming benchmark results when carrying out some power capping tests to restrict the graphics card to a given Wattage...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ttMan-Cap-Test

This is not a good test because power capping effects frequency first and voltage only then. It's better if you undervolt Pstates 6 & 7 to around 1.05v.

Comment

I agree. I would like to see instead some undervolting while keeping the same frequency, or overvolting and increasing frequency.

Comment

I already linked my findings in another thread, but it won't hurt to do it again here:

I'm using the exact same settings as with Wattman on Windows, except of the not working maximum power increase.

Comment

One of the things I've always liked about Linux was getting all the features we need with none of the excessive bloat that the Windows equivalent gets. Sure, a GUI would be appreciated, but it shouldn't take 300MB+ of crap to get that.

Comment

I remember some talk about a way to limit FPS on games using the terminal. That is already available? If so, what are the Mesa and/or Kernel versions needed?

Comment

Please do also check out Raven Ridge. I was very (negatively) surprised when I saw that neither ECC worked nor was I able to find any overclocking capabilities in the drm file structure.
              With the same board(AB350 Pro4), a Ryzen 7 1700X and an RX 480 8GiB both works.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                I already linked my findings in another thread, but it won't hurt to do it again here:

I'm using the exact same settings as with Wattman on Windows, except of the not working maximum power increase.
                Right on. I noticed the new 'pp_od_clk_voltage' file on 4.17, now it all makes sense. I need to do some compute tests now. I've been relying on 'ohgodatool' and bios modding to undervolt up to this point, Really excited there's a natively exposed option.

Comment

aufkrawall Also, is there a way to explicitly set memory clocks and voltage beyond 'pp_mclk_od'?

EDIT - nevermind, found my answer - https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...ad331f4537b113
                  Last edited by rycodge; 16 June 2018, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I am still wait for a free OpenCl 2.1 library implementation...
                    Until now only for amdgpu-pro
                    Kind of sad..

Comment

Working...
                    X